Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Doeas anyone else have a problem with baiting?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Doeas anyone else have a problem with baiting?

Don't think for a minute that every bear from miles around shows up at the bait waiting to get killed.If this is what you think bait hunting is all about it shows you've never done it.The same people would not think twice about taking a whitetail off of an alfalfa field.Isn't that baiting? Do you put worms on a hook?Typically an older big bear will circle a bait setup downwind and lay there for sometimes hours deciding if it's safe to feed.The hunter must be willing to sit for extended periods [quietly].I once sat in a tree in freezing sleet in early May from 1300hrs-1930hrs before a bear showed and I shot him.Danmed near froze but I wanted him.You can judge hide quality and pass up bears that are rubbed unlike spot + stalk where the range can be longer.If you havn't done this style of hunting don't condenm others who have.Like dogmen etc.......not many cougars shot without them...See where I'm going...............Harold
Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Spike

I condone baiting.

The location ofthe bait site, and keeping it up is a large part of the sport of bear hunting in my opinion. I grew up in Minnesota and that's how bears are hunted in Minnesota. You line up along-term source of stale donuts, get them every couple of days, set up your various bait sites and keep doing that until you start getting bear sign at one of your sites. Some sites are dry holes. It's a lot of work but the preplanning and strategyas well as the thrill when you have "activity" is fun.

When I moved to Pennsylvania, Iwas surprised that PA hunters didn't bait. I thought it unusual that a big gang of guys would drive the bush and force the bear into view.

Note the difference in philosopy: PA hunters have a tradition that treats bear hunting as a large party, short term, social event. MN hunters treatbear hunting as a solitary, long term strategy event. I don't feel either has anything wrong with it. It's just excercising a tradition.

But, baiting is half the fun in my humble opinion! It's certainlynot as much of a sure thing asdriving with a large group of hunters.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Up North about the only way to hunt Bear is baiting. You can have good bait sites that may not be hit for days at a time but there is no visibility to spot and stalk. Even bait hunting is tough if the berry crop is good.

Baiting deer is NOT legal here. No way shape or form.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I spend more time baiting bear than anybody you guys know, trust me..I ran 4 baits last year for 3 months in the spring...

--Its not as easy as you think...
--It created ultimate bear identification and shot placement...
--Without baiting in Saskatchewan, very few bears would be harvested, as they are very very diffucult to spot and stalk in our dense woods, they are just wicked of an animal.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: SaskatchewanOutdoors

I spend more time baiting bear than anybody you guys know, trust me

I bet I do....
Old 03-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Gotta go with dan on this one...Hey dan hows the little one????
Old 03-21-2007, 10:13 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Original Post:
"....I responded to a postand criticized the process of bear hunting with the use of bait. I went as far to say that I thought setting a trashcan full of molassas and then blasting (or shooting with a long bow) from 15 yds is pathetic and not really hunting.

Does anyone agree with me at all?"
I do not agree.
I personally would have no problem with baiting bears at all.

If it is not your cup of tea, then I respect your decision not to do it.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/fb.aspx?m=1375131&key=baiting%2cillegal
Old 03-22-2007, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

First they take your baiting away, then your trapping, and then they set the rules on how you can hunt or if you can hunt. Yeah give the anti's more fuel there master. So what if the guy baits. If it's legal then support him as a hunter and not a personal opinion. Your fighting for your rights as hunters everyday or atleast the smart hunters are.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:11 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

by cherokee outfitters:

"....Yeah give the anti's more fuel there master."
??

An incidenceof inaccurate speed reading perhaps?

Quick Reply: Doeas anyone else have a problem with baiting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.