Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

wyoming elk tag

Old 03-02-2007, 07:33 PM

Default RE: wyoming elk tag

ORIGINAL: NORMS KIMBER

WYOTIMBERGHOST, dont really like griz and wolves but have hunted with them in montana and idaho. my bow is quiet the wovles will never hear it coming if it were to come to that
If you don't mind the grizzlies/wolves, there are some good places around Dubois- like areas 67/68. You definately have to be griz savvy, though, or your hunt will be ruined. If you know what you're doing, you can have good success in areas 9/10/110 as well. It'll take some work to get away form the crowds, but it can be done. I got within bow range of 2 different 6 point bulls in areas 9&10 this fall when I was deer hunting (no elk tag for that area). But such is the case in a lot of areas around WY if you just know what you're doing. You could have a good hunt anywhere in the Wind Rivers, The Snowy Range, The Beartooths, and the list goes on. What it all comes down to is what area of the state you want to hunt.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:53 PM

anyone with some info in area 21,13,14 for archery, that's where we are thinking of going to just got to get some maps there on the way. not to many nonres got an elk tag this year??
Old 03-05-2007, 03:14 PM

pulled a General tag, I pulled the same last year which was my first time appling thats is not the way my luck usualy runs, now if i could just be so lucky on a powerball ticket
Old 03-05-2007, 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: NORMS KIMBER

just wondering if anyone else drew an elk tag?? didn't get my first or second but did get my third. It's the first one in four years.And was wondering whats a good area for general elk tag in archery season is. And this is not my first time out but it will be for archery in wyoming have been out ten times in colorado,montana,idaho so i do know what i'm doing just need alittle help with new area. thanks
I'm a little confused NORMS KIMBER, did you draw your third choise on the ap? If so, you will have to hunt that area, not a general license. It is a limited quota license. Means you are limited to that area only.

Did I miss something? Like to help, but what area did you draw?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually hunted area 67 up the long creek drainage. We always had good success up there. The last time we were up there we shot three elk in 4 hours of each other on the second day of rifle season. Could never get close enough with the bow.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:13 AM

GAME4LUNCH, we applied for "GEN" on third choise so that means we can hunt any area with a general season right???
Old 03-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I drew a non-resident general tag last year.
I am a resident this year, so I can buy my tags over-the-counter.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 AM

yes you can Kimber, WK as long as you have lived heer 1 full year you can buy an over the counter gen Elk tag or left over limited quota tag. but you must be here 1 year before you buy it

Old 03-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

gotlost, I have worked & lived in Wyoming since October-10th of 2005. I could have bought a resident license on October-11th last year & been 100% legal. I opted to apply for a non-resident general license last year.Then ifI had the spare time, I could archery hunt? I did not have the time to hunt during the archery season. I only had time for 5-days of general rifle season hunting. Two of the five days I saw elk but could not get a shot. The otherthree daysI saw nothing.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:35 PM

This must be fairly new. You are correct sir! You can hunt any area in Wyoming during that areas general tag regs and dates.

So......

I'm in Cheyeoming and am most familiar with S.E. Wyo. I hunt the Medicine Bow (Snowy Range) Mtns and the Sierra Madres. Lots of elk in both, if you are willing to hunt. A lot of guys prefer the Sierra Madres because there is more open sage covered ridges, points, and high spots which does make it easier to spot and stalk. The Snowy's however, are more forrested with thick to thicker connifers. Plenty of open parks and clear cuts, but still more difficult to "see" the elk.

You are going for Archery, so you have all of September in any of those hunt areas; 9, 10, 12, 110, (Snowy's). And 13, 15, 21 in the Sierra Madres.

For archery, I prefer an area around Fox Park. In the southern portion of Snowy's. Always seem to bo elk around if you can get to them. You'll hear them, smell them, and watch them from afar, but maybe get a shot at one. From there, I float around depending on weather, hunter pressures, etc out to Pelton Creek, Platte Ridge, Illinois creek, 4 corners, Muddy Mountain, and more. Per-scouting has a lot to do with where I concentrate my efforts.

If you have a choise, I would recommend the week of 10th- 15th. Labor day is over, and the bulls are really getting the hirmones kicked in. You also stand a better chance of avoiding one of our infamous mid-to-late September snow storms!

I could go on & on . . . back to work. Get good topo maps. PraCTICE UP TO 50 YARD SHOTS.

Quick Reply: wyoming elk tag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.