Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Elk Hunt, 7 x 7, with pictures

Old 12-12-2002, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Elk Hunt, 7 x 7, with pictures

Badatta2d - Awe, maybe you're right. Heck, who cares what hunting REALLY is as long as its legal, right ? Shooting a caged animal, shooting one that shares 400 acres with 10 other species of animals, half of them exotic and all corn fed, yeah, thats the example of hunting I want to pass to my kids and shown on ESPN2 and the Outdoor Life channels.

PETA loves canned hunts, the Media like to show them on TV as hunting. I accept a lot of different kinds of hunting, baiting, dogs, crossbows, spears you name it - but calling a canned killing a hunt is over the line for me.

markw posted this on a public forum for all to see - how do ya'll know he isn't PETA ? I emailed him and the outfitter and none will tell me how many acres, how many species are resident etc. Did the bull have an ear tag too ? Is this REALLY hunting ? I think those are valid questions, and taking the guys satisfaction away from the kill might be justified in that light. Hey, I call it like I see it and back it up with the reasons why.

stickerpt - I never said it was wrong, I said it wasn't hunting IF the place is what I think it is. You said yourself " You ought to try an outfit hunt out West though. It wont be
as easy but the harder you work for something the better you
feel about it"
and thats exactly right. I just go farther and call it what it is, a canned hunt with a gauranteed kill and that folks aint huinting.

Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 12-12-2002, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

PETA this or PETA that, I have the feeling you know much more about PETA than you are letting on. Either that, or your just a "hater" only here to listen to your own rambling. No wonder so many people have e-mailed me saying not to waste my time on you.
I'll tell ya this. I have only been here a short time and already can see his site is loaded with folks claiming to have done this or that. But the funny thing is the people claiming these things are posting the same pics that I, was e-mailed last year, by a friend or co-worker whatever.
Maybe this isn't a site for Hunters, but a bragging and slander board. If thats true it's a shame. You claim to accept a lot of types of hunting, so what, we should all check with you prior to going, so we know where you stand and what will and will not be flamed by the board. Screw that! I am not one to hunt in high fences of any kind. But I don't be little those that do. You are not my conscience or the voice of this "Hunter"! Your opinions are just that, and thats all they'll ever be!
Old 12-12-2002, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Badatta2d - I cried after reading that and the core of my being has been wounded.

Look, I have an opinion and I gave it and I said why. I questioned, I asked, I called and I emailed. I am NOT one to take things for face value all the time when the pieces don't add up.

http://www.peta-online.org/alert/aut...tem.asp?id=300
http://www.wildlifeprotection.net/Ca...huntindex.html
http://www.fund.org/cannedhunts/
http://www.hsus.org/ace/12017

Theres some reading for ya'll

And here's a picture too - hows this for fair chase HUNTING ??

http://www.fobarehunting.com/ElkBreeding.html

This site says ...

" Registered Rocky Mountain Elk

Blood Lines From:
*HeavyV * Roy * USA1 *
*Harry * Tremor * Dakota Pride
*Diamond

Top Blood Lines
Bred Cows, Calves, Herd Sires
Free Delivery On:
Breeding Packages in Northeast
Also Quality Whitetail Breeding Stock
Economical Ideas On:
Fencing & Handling Facilities
Dealer for Tightlock & Solidlock Fencing
Also Facility and Fencing Construction
And also Home of the:
Old Stone Fence Hunting Adventures

Coincidence ?? No, same name and same group.

Wanna whitetail buck ? How about this one ...

Jack Pot
3 year old
herd sire
14 Point
30" Outside Spread Score: 180 & 6/8

There, you got a name, age, size and gross/net score and photos sent your home before you ever put down the cash to go. Aint that grand and this is the future of hunting ??

Hey, its my opinion, but ya'll want to go and kill these animals thats fine with me. Like I have said numerous times, ya'll gonna get a fine mount and some great meat, but I question that you're missing the true definition of hunting. Am I wrong ? Maybe I am, and if so this country has gone far worse than I thought. Go to those sites, PETA first then the others and you'll see much truth in what PETA claims. I for one will NOT stand and back a hunting brother that participate in these preserve type kills and calls them hunting. If this makes me anti-"hunting" so be it, call it what you want.

If I wrong here, PLEASE enlighted me.

Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 12-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stealthy, I don't necessarily disagree with your observations, and I am not here to argue with you (although it is quite fun). I just think there are better battles out there than hunter vs hunter. This was and remains my main point.We need to educate others and be respectful of the legalities sport. How many times have you, I and others, been denied access to private land because of what the "previous" hunter did wrong. I am all about fair chase. I would rather harvest a doe in the wild than have old "Jack Pot" on my wall. It just seems if you start slamming others from partaking in "canned" hunts, it opens the floodgates. What about hunting over bait or outfitters that brag about success rates. I would rather see them proclaim oppurtunity stats than actual kill rates (thankfully many are now starting to do this). Where does it stop?
If this Elk Hunt that Markw went on is a board sponsor, I can't believe you are a member of such a board. Like I said I don't necesarily disagree with your opinion as an individual, but when it is used as consensus statement on a public board, thats when the fur flies.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:44 PM

Baddata sure has a point. That preserve is a sponser of the board
and as such I am not going to knock it or someone that wants to
go kill a trophy there. Havent we all said time and time again that
the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Well that was Marks trophy
and he has every right to be proud of it. Just because the majority
of us dont agree with canned hunts, we should not slam a newbie
for choosing to go on one for his first elk hunt. The poor guy
might not come back because of the reception that he got and that
would be a loss for him and for us. I enjoyed his story and pictures.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

Them "preserves" started all this CWD crap in elk. Ain't gonna support any canned hunts or hunters. Yall will agree when you see dead elk stacked up like cord wood an' yer freezers are empty fer years an' years.

BJ
Old 12-12-2002, 06:51 PM

Mark-Don't run off 'cause you get a little chewin' from some people. Both sides have a point. You need to keep hanging out here to learn what real elk hunting is all about. It's nothing like what you did and it is truly some exciting stuff. I think you should remain proud of the animal you took out of respect for the critter but please save those dollars for two years and mileage points and plan a western hunt. You will be doing yourself a huge favor and will see country worth dying for. Wild elk will drive you nuts and you will for sure start a tradition of the fall for you and your kids to follow. Good hunting.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-13-2002, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I won't personally hunt on a preserve but I really don't care if others want to.My only problem with game farms is the outbreaks of cwd that seem to be originating in these places.They are a threat to our whole game population.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:53 PM

Truth #1:"ethics are in the eye of the beholder".

Truth #2: to a lot of "beholders" that whole situation ain't looking none too ethical.

2 cents #1: If you don't want to here it, don't start it.

2 cents #2: I aware that all forms of "elk captivating" are illegal in my home state. Wonder why? Guess I'll have to keep chasing. 'em the hard and cheap way.

Quick Reply: First Elk Hunt, 7 x 7, with pictures

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.