Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Elk Hunt, 7 x 7, with pictures

Old 12-09-2002, 06:55 PM

Default RE: First Elk Hunt, 7 x 7, with pictures

I have seen a few 400+ bulls in AZ and NM but never got one with my bow. Do have a 360+ bull. I am surprised that the bull didn't jump with a double lung rifle shot though. Suggest you spend that money next year to come out west and go on a real elk hunt with a real outfitter and let us know how it compares. Good hunting.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the nice bull!!!

"ATTITUDE REFLECTS LEADERSHIP, CAPTAIN!"
Old 12-10-2002, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be polite I sent the post I made to markw and this was the reply I got and the response I made. So for the record I haven't contacted the "outfitter" or anything, just speculation on my part.

"It appears to me that you've already formulated an opinion. So no, I
wouldn't care to clarify. Why do I get the feeling you're a member of
PETA?!"

markw -

PETA ? With 4800 posts to my name, I doubt it. Like I said, I don't have a problem with anyone killing a penned elk or animals in sanctuary/preserve type enviroments. Heck, I'm sure they eat better than wild ones do ! But calling it a hunt is wrong and THAT friend is kindling for the PETA fire.

Still giving you the benefit of a doubt though, thats why I asked questions and didn't come all out and bash you for canned hunting - if thats what it was.

Brad

Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 12-10-2002, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a quote directly off their websight.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>We offer fully guided and safe hunts incorporating fair chase rules.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

If you doubt their honosty on this, I would suggest to contact the outfitter, not persue the guy that wanted to share his success, he didn't come here for that.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:18 AM

Rather Be Huntin - flinch? Yeah I guess so, sorry. Of course, a flinch comes when you know there is a big kick coming followed by lot of noise! Similar to seeing an unsuspecting soul pick up a Magnum to shoot and not warning them they could get slapped around a little bit! I was #2 on the thread then and now #15. I could see he was likely to get a more than rough reception and warned him so. Did flinch, but given the pursuit and what's been said between then and now, I don't think I missed the mark by much.

gleninAZ, thought your points were right on beam, would be good to see him give &quot;outfitted & out west&quot; trip a chance next year.

ArcticBowMan, thanks for jumping in! You're right, this guy didn' t sign up for what he's getting!

Stealthy Cat, regarding &quot;preserve hunting&quot; (NOT outfitting) you bring up valid concerns regarding anti's, PETA, what does or doesn't qualify as &quot;hunting&quot; and its portrayal in our public forum here. Thinking that one over & may condition my openness to that approach a bit! Not to young, er I mean not too old to learn along the way.

EKM

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Half of elk hunting is knowing what NOT to do!

Edited by - ELKampMaster on 12/10/2002 17:55:29
Old 12-10-2002, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried to phone and no ansewer, so I sent an email.

ABM - you're right, however as you know I aint the only one who'll jump up when a &quot;hunt&quot; isn't a hunt. We all know canned hunting is a favorite target of anti-hunters and I personally think that hunters themselves can and should monitor those places and call them for what they are - a place to kill meat and nothing more.

I'll apologize for my posts and will edit/delete them as needed if I recieve an email that proves me wrong in my assumptions.

&quot; No License required, no harvest - no charge, reservations a must!.

Elk Starting at $1200
Super Reds Starting at $1500
Red Stag Starting at $800
European Wild Boar Starting at $350
Fallow Deer Starting at $500
Buffalo Starting at $2500
Ram Starting at $500
4 Bird Pheasant Hunts Starting at $65

We also offer a limited number of Wild Whitetail and Turkey hunts.

Thats also what the site says.
Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 12-10-2002, 11:58 AM

Real pretty elk. Looks like you got a good bang for your buck.
You ought to try an outfit hunt out West though. It wont be
as easy but the harder you work for something the better you
feel about it.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

no word from the &quot;outfitter&quot; but markw did respond to my last email to him ..

&quot; Amigos -

Hunters regulating hunters ... hell of a concept huh ? Your &quot;outfitter&quot; didn't return my emails asking how many acres and how many of the animals were resident and how many were shipped in before the &quot;hunt&quot;. I've fought this battle more than once on the net and to my friends and the end result is this - killing a half tame, grain fed animal that has only a few hundred acres to roam on and shares that land with 10 different other species including exotics behind a high fence - thats not hunting its paying to kill an animal, eat the meat and mount the head. Thats not to say all high fence areas are bad, but yours sure sounds like one. Notice you won't discuss the details ? That alone strongly indicates it too left a bad taste in your motuh because you won't defend it.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and I'll post this on the message board too. I seriously doubt you'll find ANY hunting board that will agree with canned hunting.

Brad

-----Original Message-----
Subject: Re: Sent From HuntingNet.Com by stealthycat

Sorry, but I never expected to get the kind of reaction I received from a hunting website. I've never seen hunters attacking one of their own like that anywhere. I'm sure the anti's were loving every minute of it. and THAT, my friend wasn't just kindling for their fires, it was a whole forest. When we attack each other, we're doing their job for them. But, hey, don'tworry about me cause I'll never make the mistake of going back to that
website ever again. Adios, Amigos

markw - If you do respond to this thread, again I don't think its an issue of legal or not legal, its an issue of whats hunting and what isn't. I'm all for people doing things differently, but calling it something it isn't just irks me.
Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 12-12-2002, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow Stealthycat, I feel sorry for this markw guy. Here he is proud as punch about taking an Elk and you squash his groove. I do agree with his reply that there should be some brotherhood here. Whether, you agree with his &quot;hunt&quot; method or not it is not ours to judge. It was a legal method he used to harvest his animal. If we get into arguing semantics here, we will tear ourselves apart. Deer, bear and cougars etc hunted with dogs, the entire exotics thing in the US. Crossbows, there are many practices that are not agreed upon. If we all stand by what we as individuals believe, we will not be a force of law abiding hunters. We will be tiny groups of people fighting amongst ourselves and not for the common good of the sport. We can agree to disagree but we must stand firm and together on the whole, to preserve our heritage.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:55 AM

So poor Mark got flamed for hunting on a preserve. What else is
new. People get attacked for hunting with rifles, compound bows,
crossbows, roadhunting, going on a guided hunt, shooting button bucks, anything and everything legal or not legal. Actions like that make us our own worst enemy. We need to unite not fight amongst ourselves. Mark did nothing wrong. What is a preserve for except
to provide people that want to have a great chance of success at
getting an animal that opportunity to do so.

Quick Reply: First Elk Hunt, 7 x 7, with pictures

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.