Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

bear baiting

Old 02-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bear baiting

Yes by all means let it Thaw out smell is the thing with Bears. Thats why most Main Gudes use Dounuts the sweet smell and Taste.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

AGAIN THANK'S
I will try to apply the info I have gained on this forum !!! GB 50
Old 02-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Hi Graybeard,

Just noticed on one of your posts that the shots are from 75-150 yards! That is a long shot for baited bear hunting. Typically most shots are under 30, with most being around 12yards. Reason, you want to be in the thickest stuff you can find, preferably next to a swamp. If you are in the right area you won't have a shot over 30 yards. Big bears like to have the security of thick cover to move around in. Smaller bears are not as picky, along with sows who like the more open cover than the bigger males. Ask your outfitter to put you in the darkest swamp he has baits at. Could be one of the reasons you hunt last time was a bust. Cover to a big black bear is almost as good as darkness. If you are hunting thin thin cover, the big boys will mainlyonly come out in the saftey of darkness. Usually, there is allways the exception to the rule, but odds are thicker the better

Also you stated that you are going hunting the second week of May, and the outfitter starts baiting two months prior to you being there.....They would have to start baiting in March, or just in a copule of weeks from now. Um,,,,there is usually quite a few feet of snow on the ground, and the bears are not out of the dens quite yet. Not saying he isn't doing what he issaying, but that sounds a bit early to me. Call him a copule of weeks and see how the baits are doing. Or he could possibly be in a area that dosen't as much snow or something.....but check things out, check things out, check things out.

Good Luck!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:52 PM

Hello there. Unfortunately I cant help with tour question,actually im tring to find out more info on black bear hunts myself. I would like to when and were to go. who to contact and lastly how much are we talkin for a two guy bear hunt using compounds over bait. I realllly want to do one of these hunt,of course as long as its not to pricey.HELP?????
Old 02-25-2007, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

The outfitter is Nunavik Adventures, Phone= 1-888-244-CHAR , Email= [email protected] . all your questions can be answered on the site. GOOD LUCK hunting! GB50
Old 02-25-2007, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks BearGuy, I will keep this in mind when we get there & ask for just that, Thick ,dark & swamp. Stand to reason, more secure area & hideing. About the starting of bait, I'm fairly sure he said he started 1or maybe 2 mon. before start of season. Outfitter is Bear-o-Rama, area around Val Dore, Quebec, Canada . Our hunt 2nd wk. of season. I WILL call him about the baiting progress. Thanks GB 50
Old 03-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Pastery is the way to go for baiting bears mixed with skinned beaver if you know a trapper.Some guys use oats drenched in livestock molasses or deep fryer grease.Shots should be set up 10-30 yrds max in tree stands not at the distances described.Hope your outfitter is not taking you for a nature hike....Harold
Old 03-11-2007, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: BearGuy.

Hi Graybeard,

Just noticed on one of your posts that the shots are from 75-150 yards! That is a long shot for baited bear hunting. Typically most shots are under 30, with most being around 12yards. Reason, you want to be in the thickest stuff you can find, preferably next to a swamp. If you are in the right area you won't have a shot over 30 yards. Big bears like to have the security of thick cover to move around in. Smaller bears are not as picky, along with sows who like the more open cover than the bigger males. Ask your outfitter to put you in the darkest swamp he has baits at. Could be one of the reasons you hunt last time was a bust. Cover to a big black bear is almost as good as darkness. If you are hunting thin thin cover, the big boys will mainlyonly come out in the saftey of darkness. Usually, there is allways the exception to the rule, but odds are thicker the better

Also you stated that you are going hunting the second week of May, and the outfitter starts baiting two months prior to you being there.....They would have to start baiting in March, or just in a copule of weeks from now. Um,,,,there is usually quite a few feet of snow on the ground, and the bears are not out of the dens quite yet. Not saying he isn't doing what he issaying, but that sounds a bit early to me. Call him a copule of weeks and see how the baits are doing. Or he could possibly be in a area that dosen't as much snow or something.....but check things out, check things out, check things out.

Good Luck!
Being an outfitter just like BearGuy, his words are gospel. I would have typed the exact same things he did, but I didn't see this thread until now.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the kind words Dan. And good luck on your hunt GB. By the way,,,,did you check out the baiting yet?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Yes; He starts aprox:1-2 wks. prior to start of season(I heard him wrong).Also the bait will be 35 to 50 yards(cover alowing) & if he is takeing us on a nature hike, he will see a part of HUMAN nature he won't be pleased with. Something will be hanging on wall!!
The area has not been hunted for 35 years so I'm fairly certain we will have a chance at a fair to good bear. Thanks all for input. GB50

Quick Reply: bear baiting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.