Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Outdoor Writer, Jim Zumbo

Old 02-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Outdoor Writer, Jim Zumbo

I think zumbo stepped on his, uh, tongue on this one. I have a couple of HBARs, one is untouched and the other is a bit modified. Very nice to use on prairie dogs and coyotes.

It isn't about need it is about want.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Zumbo is an idiot. He just handed a big stick to the Anti's. And, it sounds like he's even got some allies here. Get a damned clue Zumbo.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

From the Remington website:

NOTICE: Remington is in the process of severing our sponsorships with Mr. Zumbo. Remington in no way shares or advocates any of the comments made by Mr. Zumbo on his blog site. A formal announcement will be released by noon today.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bnzartman

Jim Zumbo is not one of my favorites, but I do agree to a certain extent. There are plenty of other riffles that could be used rather than AR-15. I think some of you may agree with me to if you had the same job as I do...a Police Officer. I'm definately not anti-gun, but I don't think someone needs an Assault Riffle standing by their front door to greet me.
I've been a cop for 20+ yrs and I most definitely think your comment is out of line. Don't suggest that because a person is a Police Officer that he will have your feelings.

What is it about an assault rifle that makes you uncomfortable? Is it the rifle, I wonder? Would you feel better if someone had a pump shotgun standing by their door to greet you? Isn't the real threat the person?

I'm not against you. I want you to be safe and to be smart and to use the training you've gotten. Don't be a lazy cop. Be alert for the screwball who would hurt you whatever his choice of weapon because its most likely not going to be an assault rifle.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

They also make hunting rifles (per say) that are semi-auto. There isn't a difference at all. Doesn't Benelli have a new semi auto rifle as well. Is it an assualt rifle?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:19 AM

Here's a link to Jim's latest blog entry,

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/i_was_wrong_big.html

Now he's saying how wrong he was.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 AM

I sure wish I could "fix" my blunders by saying sorry then hunting with Ted Nugent using AR-15's.[8D]
Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Hey Jimbo move to Canada they would love you up there. They've already lost thier rights.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:06 AM

I just read both blogs.....JIM ZUMBO is an idiot! Plain and simple he is stupid. I was never a fan of his show, but I at least respected him. I have lost a great deal of respect for him

I have no problem with him having an opinion. Heck, If he doesn't like AR's, that his right. Where he went "stupid" was when he called them inflamitory names. I won't even repeat them. He has to know that those words will be used by the anti's and it doesn't matter how many retractions he airs the original statement will be the one seen be millions.

I'm glad that Remington is dumping him. I hope that the Outdoor channel,Outdoor life, RMEF,& NRAwill also. Being a celebrity has its responsibilities especially in this field. I think Zumbo has done more harm than he can ever repair.

OBTW, My father uses a DPMS on prairie dog trips and it is an absolute blast. It is every bit as accurate as my bolt gun. While I'm droping another round in the chamber he's dropping a dog and giggling the whole time. I've shot it several times and wish I had one of my own!

Time for Jimmy to fade away, moron!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since when does an AR-15 not have a place in hunting? I agree that AK's are not hunting rifles simply because they are so innacurate. But such is not the case with AR's. Some models are extremely accurate, such as the Bushmaster Varminter. In fact, some are flat-out tack drivers. Why would you not want to use one for varmint hunting? Please tell me, because for the life of me I cannot come up with one single reason that does not have something to do with personal preference/ prejudice.

The fact that the operator does not need to manually jack another round in the chamber does not mean they are going to "spray and pray". Such a generalization is laughable. Do you hear guys who use single shots saying hunters with bolt actions "spray and pray" simply because the capability to reload faster exists? I don't think so.

And let's not forget- there is no difference in concept between an AR and Mini-14's, Browning BAR's, Benelli R1's, etc, etc. They're all centerfire semi-automatic weapons. I don't hear people getting their panties in a bunch over the fact that all of the other semi-autos are used for hunting. And I don't hear people demonizing the use of revolvers for hunting either, even though they are less accurate and can be fired almost as rapidly.

I think it is ignorant of Jim Zumbo and others to single out the AR-15 as being an abomination in the hunting world simply because it looks different than all of the other semis due to the fact that it's parent rifles are assault weapons. I would venture to say most people who oppose AR's as hunting rilfes have no problem with people putting MacMillan or HS-Preicision sniper-style stocks on their bolt action vamint rigs, even though the specialized stock essentially turns the gun into nearly the same weapon that the military uses as an assault weapon.
Agree 100%. They make AR's in all sorts of cartridges. .204 Ruger, .223, .243, .260, 6.8 spc, .308, .300 saum, 458 SOCOM, 50 beauwolf (sp), and many more. Since when aren't these cartridges considered hunting cartridges?

His apology is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to CYA.

Quick Reply: Outdoor Writer, Jim Zumbo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.