Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk herds reduced by wolves

Old 02-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Spike

Default RE: Elk herds reduced by wolves

Tangozulu, you should be aware that there is a bunch more habitat north of the USA than there is in the lower 48 states. Wolves are not much of an issue in Alaska, and in fact there is an open hunting season on them there. The amount of habitat down in the lower 48 can have the wolf, it is just at a greater cost to the other animals in the system.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

A pack of wolves just killed three of my buddys hound dogs in Avery Idaho last week. Front page of the St. Maries Gazettenews ... wolves came in very close to town while he had jumped a hot cougar track. He had to fight them off by shooting several times over their heads to get his dead dogs out. He sold his last dog for 5,000. People are very misinformed imo. It will take the killing of a child before something is officially done here in this state. The state is taking no action as of now on my friends case. They literally have no fear of humans here because they are protected by the feds.

The thing that really bothers me about this is that ESU is still considered "endangered" and not covered under the 10j and 4(d) rules as are the other wolves in Idaho.

I don't believe in anyone not having the legal right to defend their property against depredations endangered species or not.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frozendisc

BrutalAttack, you are so arrogant...Re: Additive means in addition! You should have read the article, as it wasspeaking to the lowered pregnancies, not to calf mortality. According to this article, the healthy ratio is way above what seems to be found in areas a wolf population,such as the Park. NO herd can sustain itself with the numbersstated in this article, let's hope the numbers are wrong.....
Why are you being so sensative? I wasn't even replying to you. I was attempting to explain a very complex issue so that everyone can understand it, and I don't mean that in a superior way. Not everyone understands the issue fully, most only know what their friends say or some trashy periodical publishes and portrays as the "truth".

Not everyone understands that difference between additive and compensatory mortaility as it pertains to population dynamics.

So you think that because I used a big word or something, I'm arrogant?

I think someone has an inferiority complex.....

Seems I can't post anything around here without someone jumping me about every little thing.

Everytime I'm here I wish for someone that wants to have an intelligent conversation rather than a name calling emotionally charged circular argument.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:46 PM

I was against wolves at first. What I have found is the wolves keep the elk moving from what has been traditional, "private Property",locations allowing me to have more chances to harvest my elk. I am seeing elk in places I never used to see in them before. MV out!

P.S. Besides, seeing a wolf in the wild is an experience I am starting to enjoy.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys can have them, I have to compete with too many rednecks , and that is enough for me.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Spike

BrutalAttack.....In response to the "not replying to you" aspect of your last post, when you post a message on the board, it is open to all to comment on. If you want to address one person only, use the PM method provided, and there will be less confrontationfor you to deal with.

The real issue here is that your original post was off topic. You went off in the mortality rates debate/discussion tangent, as opposed to the topic of the article, which was about elk pregnancies.

Your being arrogant is just an observation of mine, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

well i am glad theres not to many of them hear in colorado.....but i know that can change
Old 02-18-2007, 01:39 PM

Very interesting.
I have heard that some elk/deer-like animals could hold off birth until it was safe....even by a month, but did not realize elk could stop it all together!
I wonder what the next step will be?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frozendisc

BrutalAttack.....In response to the "not replying to you" aspect of your last post, when you post a message on the board, it is open to all to comment on. If you want to address one person only, use the PM method provided, and there will be less confrontationfor you to deal with.

The real issue here is that your original post was off topic. You went off in the mortality rates debate/discussion tangent, as opposed to the topic of the article, which was about elk pregnancies.

Your being arrogant is just an observation of mine, nothing more, nothing less.
Yeah well I guess for those of us that can handle thinking about more than one component of a highly complex issue at once you can go sit in the corner and be quiet.

You've already shown you aren't bringing anything to the table except name calling and finger pointing.

Opinions are like *******s everyone has one.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Spike

The attitude you are showing is why you have so many issues on this forum. I thought I had addressed every point you had raised, and in a fairly concise fashion, and without any real emotion. You seem to not handle someone that doesn't bow toyour opinion very well, and perhaps get a tad bit too upset, as your response would imply. No big deal.....

Quick Reply: Elk herds reduced by wolves

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.