Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Public Land

Old 02-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Public Land

I would love to just hunt an elk or moose, so instead of paying big bucks to hunt with an outfitter I would like to try public land first with still a chance at success. What do you look for in a good public hunting spot for elk or moose. Ive read alot of articles with people killing some monsters on public land so I know there are some good spots out there. Should I try and find spots with high acerage or location or both. Also, is there a drawling for hunters or is it open to anybody that wants to hunt.-Thanks for any help
Old 02-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Public Land

I haven't been fer sometime, we used to hunt by Steamboat Springs Co. Always found good Elk herds around Sleepycat Mtn.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure what you have in mind but there are very few places a nonresident can hunt moose without a guide. The best bet for Elk I think would be Colorado. Over the counter tags and a great elk population. The trophy quality leaves a lot to be disired if that is what you are after. I am not a trophy hunter so I love hunting Colorado. If you can draw a tag for New Mexico or Arizona the chances of getting a trophy is much better.

You can get on the Colorado Division of Wildlife site and they have a section on elk densities and harvest numbers. This would be a good place to start. Give them a call and they are usually pretty good to talk to and will give you pointers on area where the elk are.

Good Luck. Once you go you better be prepared to go again because it is addictive!!

WW
Old 02-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drawing a moose tag is hard if not almost impossible here in the states and your best luck is hunting elk on public land and useing your first year as a learning tool and its pretty easy to get a cow tag and if you hunt with the bow the bulls start getting hot mid sept.
By all means go to public lands and gather all the topos and info you can and always have emergency Plans "A" and "B" to resort to. No guide is needed and just go solo and be in good shape and climatize yourself depending on the elevation your hunting and make sure you can get the game out, weather your in the drainages or dealing with 100f temps.
There are places where I know game is always abundant and I'm tempted as hell but I pass on the oppurturnity because it would be impossible to pack one out, so I don't hunt these areas where I can't get the game out in time without the meat spoiling or without beaten the livin crap out of me trying to get the game out. It just depends on how hard do you want to work?
Good luck.

Bobby
Old 02-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

Realize your success ratio may be lower... but I GUARANTEE that a diy public land hunt is higher on excitement, work, sweat, and lifelong enjoyment.

Scout first, do your homework.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

Idaho has very good odds at drawing a moose tag the first time around. In fact, they have left-overs that sell over-the-counter first come/first serve after the regular drawings. These are shiras moose you would be hunting.

The reason for good odds in Idaho are:
1. Moose is once in a lifetime (with the exceptions)
2. The tag is about 1,700 + the license
3. If you apply for moose, sheep or goat you cannot apply for any other controlled hunt.
4. No bonus points

If you look at draw odds in Idaho, many units are 1 to 1 or 1 to 2.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:04 AM

I thought Idaho was resident only for moose tags,was I wrong or did it change?Public land is the way to go,you can camp anywhere for free,just don't cut down a live tree.Take a good dependable buddy to share in the fun and the work.If you want to hunt moose go to alaska ,no guide needed there and the tag is cheap $500 and it can be used on a caribou ,black bear ,wolverine or wolf. If you don't find a bull to your liking.Planning a hunt is half the fun.Good luck.

[/align]
Old 02-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Im willing put an any amount of work such as packing out an animal and just finding one. But I probably dont know what I would begetting myself into and I would rather not no or I might have second thoughts.-LOL
How much is an cow elk tag and a bull elk tag and license. would I be saving much money not going to an outfitter.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

For a true chance at a trophy animal you have to do one of 3 things:

1 - Know someone who can put you in the right spot.
2 - Do A LOT of scouting and get away from the crowds.
3 - Draw a tag in an area managed for trophy animals. Unless you know someone this is your best shot. Do some research online. In Utah for example they report every year onlinethe success rates and the average age of animals taken (this tells you the trophy potential) in each limitedentry unit. Again these are draw units managed for trophy class animals. It's still hunting but you don't have to spend much time in these units before you run into trophy class animals and these are public land hunts. The trick is drawing the tag. If you need more info on hunting in Utah let me know.