Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Accuracy.... groups?

Old 02-13-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Accuracy.... groups?

I am trying to figure out where I am at with my accuracy. I know some mention 3/8 in, 1/2 in, and 1 inch groups. What are you all doing to get these so close?

My local sporting good guy recommends one of those Caldwell "Lead Sleds" for $119. You can elevate the front and works like those scissor car jacks. Even absorbs most of the recoil as well. I have not done this and probably should to sight in EXACTLY.

I have pretty much just shot off the front of my truck (nice standing height) using something inside (a coat bunched up, or a kid pillow) to rest the front. Even though I've dropped thousands on rifles, scopes, reloading press, dies and all that, powder, bullets, primers, and all that.. havent spent $20 on a proper sandbag rest. I do need to get one of those Harris bipods though!

I have 2 accurate rifles (I think!), a Browning Stainless Stalker in 7 Mag, and a Remington Sendero in 300 Win Mag.

Been shooting groups of 3, and shoot at least 5 groups to average.

With the 7 Mag I am averaging around 1.14" @ 100 - 150 gr. BT's.
With the 300 Mag (shot less) I am getting about 1.53" @ 100 - 165 Gr Hornady BTSP's.

Is this "decent" or getting there? I am sure I could do better with the Lead sled. However, I am not going to take it hunting so looking for something at least realistic. In the field, you can use a bipod, shooting sticks, or even improvise a crude rest - like my using the coat on the truck.

Please post group size and how you get it. Sure I had a low .35" on the 7 Mag, and a .58 on the 300 WM, but cannot shoot that each and every time so took an average of all. Easy to shoot 3/4" group, then right afterward shoot a 1.5" group!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Accuracy.... groups?

Given your setup, it sounds like you're doing really well. There's lots of variables there: the flexing truck hood, your knees/hips/ankles moving, your abdominal muscles moving...

I spent $40 on a plastic Predator rest, & that got me going. But going toward what, however? Well, I was able to find the ammo that my rifle likes best. In a controlled cirucumstance, after many groups, I found my gun prefers 165 grain Hornady Interbonds.

So now I've "graduated" to shooting offhand, from my knee, and with a vertical handhold on a post. If, offhand,I can get 3" at 100 yards, & 6" at 200 yards, I'm happy.

But that's just me. I'm a hunter (when I can find the time), not a benchrest shooter. I shoot a Remington, not an Anschutz. I shoot factory ammo, not reloads. I want to mount heads on the wall, not framed targets with ragged holes.

So if you want to shoot tons of tiny groups, get the lead sled. If you want to hunt, go spend the $20 on sandbags, & don't look back!

FC
Old 02-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those groups are fine for hunting any biggame out to 300 yards, especially with relatively high recoiling cartridges, if you were to shoot from your truck in the same position you are at the game!! If you know where you are hunting, now move to shooting from actual field positions. IMO - A Bi-pod does not do very much good on a big game rifle unless you are hunting out your back door, or on a farm field from a shooting house. In the real world, Bi-pods only add weight to the rifle, and when a deer or elk comes up real quick and you only have seconds to think about it waiting for it to stop, just long enough for you to shoot at it, the LAST thing on your mind will be that bi-pod. Spend that money on shooting more shells from real life positions at gallon sized milk jugs, and those Delta life size paper archery targets. That will show you where you are hitting. Who cares if you can shoot the hair off a fleas butt if you can't shoot from a kneeling position!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

Given your setup, it sounds like you're doing really well. There's lots of variables there: the flexing truck hood, your knees/hips/ankles moving, your abdominal muscles moving...

I spent $40 on a plastic Predator rest, & that got me going. But going toward what, however? Well, I was able to find the ammo that my rifle likes best. In a controlled cirucumstance, after many groups, I found my gun prefers 165 grain Hornady Interbonds.

So now I've "graduated" to shooting offhand, from my knee, and with a vertical handhold on a post. If, offhand,I can get 3" at 100 yards, & 6" at 200 yards, I'm happy.

But that's just me. I'm a hunter (when I can find the time), not a benchrest shooter. I shoot a Remington, not an Anschutz. I shoot factory ammo, not reloads. I want to mount heads on the wall, not framed targets with ragged holes.

So if you want to shoot tons of tiny groups, get the lead sled. If you want to hunt, go spend the $20 on sandbags, & don't look back!

FC
Thanks all for the input. I just wanted to get a general idea of where I was at.

I thought of buying the lead sled, but that did not see any practicality other than getting sighted in more precisely. However, with shooting a few more shots and watching groups it is easy to tell when you are on.

I read all these people getting half inch groups, even read bragging about how he shoots a 1/4" group. Not sure how you can shoot a 1/4" group out of the 30/06 he was using when the bullet diameter is larger than that!

I bought the reloader mainly to cut down on cost, which means I can shoot more. I think if I can get to where I average an inch on these I should be fine. I have all year until season to practice.

Thinking the 7 Mag on antelope... 300 Win Mag on elk.... For Deer I am unsure as either should more than work.

Shooting offhand? You know this would be the last shot I would take unless something sprang and ran. I think you could always find some sort of rest, although probably wont always have the luxury of a full size 4x4!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:38 PM

you certainly don't need a lead sled. if you wish to shoot from a bench, all you need are sandbags. get a large one for the front (under the forearm) and a small one for the rear of the stock. you would be amazed at the groups some people can shoot with bags. however, if you are a "hunter", and your rifle shoots 1.25 to 1.50, you are good to go. UNLESS you an accuracy nut, in which case you need a lot more stuff.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I shoot a Magnum rifle, my groups start out pretty, however after six or eight shots, my groups go downhill in a hurry. I can shoot groups half the size with my 7mm-08 that I can with my 35 Whelen or 7mm-mag. Even though people don't realize or won't admit it, the pounding will work on your mind. These days, if I don't have to have the extra blast and recoil pain and bullet speed, I don't mess with it.

Sand bags is how I shoot for group size but if I had to beat myself to death with a big hard kicking rifle, I would use a lead sled or at the least, The Shooters Friend Recoil Pad from Cabelas. Best pad on this planet for range use. Ugly but SOFT. I like to think that over the years I have gotten smarter than a chunk of hardwood.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

May want to look into a good shooting jacket for siting in and padded comfy jacket during hunting.The heart beat can add some movement sometimes,and the thought of recoil will elevate the heart rate.I shoot over sand bags at range with a oylimpic style jacket,during hunting a coat or jacket takes it's place.The lead sled maybe fine but it seems the rifle should have the recoil absorbed more gradual than dead stop.Smaller calibers would be ok but larger belted rounds may need to roll so the tang and lug aren't stressed,I've heard somewhere of big guns cracking when not allowed to push through,it's stopping a natural reaction to recoil too fast!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:04 AM

I would say that you are shooting pretty good considering your setup.
When I talk about shooting really good groups it is from a rock steady bench and rest. Like you I can not shoot a 1/2 inch group every time even with a custom rifle. A lot of folks will get one group that measures sub 1/2 and claim that they have a 1/2 inch weapon. Its a bit misleading to say the least, there are so many variables to consider wind being the most prevalent. With my hunting weapons I likea gun to shoot consistantly 3/4 MOA or under. I have a 6.5-284 that will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards from the bench all day long If (and its a big if) I don't screw up. You know a little flinch or pull can turn a sub 1/2 into 1 1/2 in a hurry. From hunting positions I would be happy with anything close to 1 inch.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:44 PM

The lead sled is only good for testing out the rifle to see how accurate it is. Take away the lead sled after you've determined there is nothing wrong with the rifle. Now, work on the shooter.

Sorry about the simple explanation.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: M77man

The lead sled is only good for testing out the rifle to see how accurate it is. Take away the lead sled after you've determined there is nothing wrong with the rifle. Now, work on the shooter.

Sorry about the simple explanation.
I think many people use one of those whenever they shoot. Sure, I could get much smaller groups using one as well. However, I dont see much challenge in it. Maybe to use just to sight in.

I occasionally get a group under an inch, but most are an inch or a little more. Howver, just shooting using anything as a rest... lol

Quick Reply: Accuracy.... groups?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.