Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Back country hunts and boots!!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:12 PM

Default RE: Back country hunts and boots!!

There are many great boots available today and the two I would recommend are as follows:

Schnee's Sheep Hunter GTX by LOWA and the, Schnee's 13 Inch Hunter II

These boots are some of the best in the market and I cannot recommend them enough!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used a pair of Irish Setter 1000 grams Thinsulate Goretex boots this year Elk hunting putting 8-10 miles of tough walking up and down the mountain ridges and draws. They give my feet very good support with a good pair of socks and the cushioning. They have good support and oiled leather that takes the rough walking well.
I did look at those Danner boots people have mentioned several times hear. They look like their well built. Maybe those will be a good next pair.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

make sure you get a boot with an air bob sole for traction
Old 02-24-2007, 09:40 AM

I picked up a gortex pair called Rocky in 800 grams last week for just over $70 and they are awesome. Keep my feet incredibly warm and dry. Very comfortable as well, my only complaint is the traction is a bit slippery. Maybe they just need broken in?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Schnees made in Montana. Enough said google there web site.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

I've had boots from various mfg's...some good some bad and maybe boots are like cars, you sometimes get a lemon and the next guy gets the same exact model and raves about them!! Who know? This fall, I bought a pair of Meindel Perfekt Hunters from Cabelas and thus far have been impressed. The leather did squeek a bit at first but once I broke them in that went away. They are extremely comfortable, keep your feet dry, and I was really impressed with how I could walk slopes that I fell all over on the day before with another boot on. I was in NW Montana hiking some snow covered hillsides and the traction was awesome. The only thing is my feet sweat alot andwouldn't use them in early season.
http://www.cabelas.com/story-123/meindlboots_810087_all/20031/Meindl+Boots+-+Traditions%252C+Generations%252C+Innovations..sht ml

I've heard that Schnee's Pac boots are very good but have yet to own a pair. Plan on trying a pair when the need arises next time around...

http://www.schnees.com/
Old 02-26-2007, 07:07 PM

i love my irish setter shadowtrek they are 800 gram w/ gortex they are also extremely light and 100% waterproof
Old 02-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends if I'm hunting in sept. or nov.? I'm not going to be wearing the same footwear in bowseason during the 3 diget weather as opposed to below zero during the rut in nov. I guess I'm as bad as a women cause I got footwear for all occasions.

Bobby