Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The best rifle men

Old 02-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default The best rifle men

I was thinking, I bet if 100 of best big game rifle men where to go to war and they where given a certain target to go after they would get it done alot faster than a highly trained sniper. A person who has a lot of years of long range shooting big game in tough conditions would know what to do in difficult situations because they have had to take shots under pressure very quickly somtimes at unbelievable yards in horrible weather conditions. If our country was ever under attack they would have another thing coming with all the hunters picking them off.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The best rifle men

There is a lot of truth to what you say. I've read at different times about riflemen in each of America's wars here and overseas that some of the best riflemen were those who'd grown up around firearms, hunting on farms, ranchs, small towns.
I saw that in my time in the Army that those who knew firearms and had hunted squirrels, deer, etc. from a young age were general those shooting in the top of the companies. Certainly there's more training for situations Soldiers,Marines and Special Forceswill encounter that prepare for conflicts with those shooting back that's different than hunting animals, too.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

I doubt that any hunter that hasn't been trained as a sniper could stay on the same page with a well trained sniper. Sniper's in war are going after game that shoot's back and, quite often the target is not alone so his buddies shoot back as well. Good sniper's are not born, they are trained!

In hunting only the hunter has a gun, in war, everybody does!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Don Fischer

I doubt that any hunter that hasn't been trained as a sniper could stay on the same page with a well trained sniper. Sniper's in war are going after game that shoot's back and, quite often the target is not alone so his buddies shoot back as well. Good sniper's are not born, they are trained!

In hunting only the hunter has a gun, in war, everybody does!
Very True.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Many good rifleman are neither good hunters or good snipers. A true good hunter just needs a change of targets to be a great sniper. Billy Dixon was maybe the best of both. At the battle of abobe wells he shot a medicine man off his horse at just under one mile with a 50 Caliber Sharps. This shot was not documented but during the same battle he shot another one off his horse at 1200 yards. This one was measured out after the battle. Here we are talking black powder No Scope. He was of course a buffalo hunter.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:55 AM

You planning on shooting somebody or something?
Old 02-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

You planning on shooting somebody or something?
Nah, he's just running for Rangel's re-election campaign!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Billy Dixon made the shot of all shots, and there's no deny luck or not because the chief got killed right off his horse. Men like Billy Dixon and Sgt. York are men who change the odds in battle.

A true hunter vs a sniper would be a close match, but both in the same forest you wouldn't want to be the hunter with the sniper waiting on you to come to him. On the other hand you wouldn't want to be the sniper trying to run away from the hunter. There is a totally different training involed between the two. Both are adapt shooters but with totally different styles of getting there prey.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Both would require excellent woodsmanship skills.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Oh brother, so now that you have a hunting rifle you are suddenly a bad ars? I think not. Two completely seperate things, not even remotely related.

Quick Reply: The best rifle men

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.