Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The best rifle men

Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The best rifle men

...obviously he's planning for the coming border war with the Nationalists from Mexico and Central America(as we all should be).

I expect tho that a well trained USSniper will ouitshoot those of us Americans who will be helping him.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

"This is my rifle. There are many ones like it, but this one is mine......."
Old 02-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

I guess I should have said hunters would do better than some of the trained snipers. I highly respect our troops for what they are doing I was just wondering how a old timer rifle man would do up against a tained sniper. I do have a high powered rifle and have had it for a good time now, but I do not think Im a bad ars by a long shot. And Im not planning on killing anyone unless there is a situation where I or people around me where being threatned. Thought I would just clear up some of the missunderstanding of my tone. Good luck on your next hunt!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Persoanally I hope no one in this day and age has "lots of expierience shooting long range under difficult conditions at big game animals." Hopefully these poor hunting practices died out with the last of the market/ buffalo hunters.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: cherokee_outfitters

Billy Dixon made the shot of all shots, and there's no deny luck or not because the chief got killed right off his horse. Men like Billy Dixon and Sgt. York are men who change the odds in battle.

A true hunter vs a sniper would be a close match, but both in the same forest you wouldn't want to be the hunter with the sniper waiting on you to come to him. On the other hand you wouldn't want to be the sniper trying to run away from the hunter. There is a totally different training involed between the two. Both are adapt shooters but with totally different styles of getting there prey.
I wouldnt mind having the sniper with me in the blind hunting whitetail! Or those long yote' shots!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Roadkillwarrior: I think you are right on the money, but I want to articulate the point in my own language. The seasoned, equipped hunters in the US represent a very large and widely dispersed hidden security force that would make any overt, massed assault on the US very, very difficult. These people are armed with high power centerfire rifles suitable for making single shot kills at 400 yards. They are typically provisioned with plenty of appropriate ammo and often have several suitable rifles. They are often practiced at shooting their rifles at distant targets and making killing shots on live targets in the field under all light and weather conditions. They are equiped to operate in the field in all weather and remain unseen. They are experienced at remaining unseen -- through placing themselves in shadows, breaking up their outlines with objects in front of and behind them, moving not at all or very slowly. They know how to get around in the woods in the dark. In summary, hunting provides ideal military training and equipment. Heaven help any hostile army that comes to take North Texas unless they don't just kill every living breathing adult in the first hour.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

I guess I should have said hunters would do better than some of the trained snipers. I highly respect our troops for what they are doing I was just wondering how a old timer rifle man would do up against a tained sniper. I do have a high powered rifle and have had it for a good time now, but I do not think Im a bad ars by a long shot. And Im not planning on killing anyone unless there is a situation where I or people around me where being threatned. Thought I would just clear up some of the missunderstanding of my tone. Good luck on your next hunt!

I think more accurate would be a few, a small few, hunter's might be almost asgood as some of the mid class sniper's. Ya gotta understand. The sniper's snipe for a living and bad sniper's aren't sniper's for long. The best of the hunter's work for a living and shoot on the side. A relative few would qualify as very very good. Take the best hunter you know and send him out for a day with a well trained sniper and see if he cut's the mustard.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don Fischer (and others): I imagine all of us will accept that professional snipers beat the hunters hands down. I took the original post in less than literal terms and tried to find where I thought he was headed and address those thoughts. I think the point may be that hunters have some backbone and threat that your average dude in the 'hood slinking around in oversized shorts drooping off his butt doesn't present to potential attackers. Or maybe the point of comparison is not the average dude in the 'hood, but the average disarmed and woods-ignorant citizen of other countries. What is the potential that your wine tippling Frenchman is going to resist an attacking force? Ooops, wait, that already happened in 1940, didn't it? Well, point made. Switzerland, au contraire, obliges every male citizen (maybe every Adult citizen, I'm not sure about the sex constraint) to own an appropriate rifle and have it an ammo at the crib and to practice with the rifle.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:33 PM

hunting animals is one thing. hunting people who are trying to kill you is another thing entirely.a well trained military sniper would easily take out "the best hunter", before breakfast!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

I think we have a problem in this country that hunting as an art, generally speaking, is being lost in favor of gee whiz gadget's that allow the best user's to kill from farther away. Generally speaking, from what I see and what I read the average hunter lack's well tuned shooting skill's and hunting skill's. He's traded hunting skill's for a flatter shooting rifle and a bigger scpoe, neither of which give's him the advantage he's looking for. For no other reason than he just doesn't know how to use what he has.

The well trained sniper on the other hand know's how to use those shooting skill's and the hunting skill's. Give the average guy the baddest magnum on earth and the trained sniper a 22LR and the sniper will take him out! Probally it has been this way for much longer than we realize.

Hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toe's here, don't mean to.

Quick Reply: The best rifle men

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.