Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What is your favorite caliber?

Old 02-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What is your favorite caliber?

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

ORIGINAL: Riffer

I think that my 270 is probly to light for what I'm after so what would you guys get?
The 270 crowd needs to shut up! I'm sick of your arguments. SHUT UP! He wants something other than a 270. So don't try to convince him that he's wrong. EITHER MAKE A SUGESTION OTHER THAN 270, OR SHUT THE HELL UP!

As a matter of fact I know of several people that think the 270 is an inferior deer cartridge. They don't trust it to shoot a whitetail. I'm not saying they're right, but prove them wrong. They've lost deer while using the 270 and opted back to their 30-06's.

Now that I got that of my chest....... 338 win, 300 win, 7mm Mag, & 300 ultra would all be excellent choices. I personally carry a 338 win elk hunting and have had excellent results
Shato, "YOU'RE ADORABLE"& you're right. Now that I really think about it, I think that he should step it up to a 416 Rigby. Nothing like fresh ground Elk scraped up off of the ground...mmmmmmmm
Old 02-07-2007, 08:44 PM

7mm in both standard and magnum.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally think the .270 is fine for what you're looking at, just use something bigger than a 130 grain bullet.

I have a .308, and a 180 grain .308 is more than capable of taking down an elk or moose any day.

Now if you're going for Grizzly, that's going to need a rediculously huge gun, IMO, 'cause I read thishunting article, and they said that this guy shot a Kamchatkagrizzly 4 times with a .340 Weatherby, and it was on the fourth shot that it finally started slowing down, and all of the shots wereshoulder and one lung shot!
Old 02-08-2007, 02:06 PM

Christ the 270 crowd is hard headed. I'm glad I never got the 270 bug, it apparently is resistant to all forms of common sense.[8D]
Old 02-08-2007, 03:17 PM

Well, I'm part of the 270 crowd but just broke down and purchased a beautiful 300WSM. I shot a 270 for 16 years and still will but not all the time and not on a future elk hunt.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shato,

Any cartirdge of any caliber will loose animals, I have seen an antelope shot with a 7mm run off. A deer with a 300 win mag run off and it won't be the last time. Some people just don't get it!

Common sense - I won't even go there.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:55 PM

well im gonna have to say my winchester model70 30-06 loaded with a winchester 180gr silvertip, thats my recipe for disaster
Old 02-08-2007, 04:56 PM

I just cant resist getting in on this one..........

I fully believe that you owe the animal much respect, and that would include making a clean kill. If stepping up the horsepower increases the odds of a clean kill I will always be on that side of the debate.

I shoot a .300 Weatherby, A Ruger # 1 and a Wby MK V synthetic. 150gr for whitetail and hogs and 180gr for larger.

and besides ithas to be better, it costs more.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a good shot, but not an expert. I don't shoot 1/2 inch patterens like I know some of you guys can. If my shot wasn't perfect, if I was off just a little, would I rather have my slighty marginal shot with a 270 or my 300rum. Hum, let me think..... As much as everyone talks about shot placement and practice, perfect shots do not happen everytime. Animals move, hunters nerves affect them, scopes get knocked off a little whenthey slip and fall, a million and one things can happen. Given the same exact senario, same exact shot, perfect or marginal,you can't tell methat the 270 is going to do the job as good as a larger caliber or a magnum. You guys keep talking about shot placement, hell with the right shot placement you can drop a grizzley with a 22. That sure as hell don't mean I'm gonna hunt them with one!
Old 02-09-2007, 09:04 AM

hell with the right shot placement you can drop a grizzley with a 22.

wouldnt the lead bullet just bounce off the skin, you might as well throw scrunched up paper balls at him to while your at it.

Quick Reply: What is your favorite caliber?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.