Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What is your favorite caliber?

Old 02-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What is your favorite caliber?

I'm not a big fan of a .270 for elk, that's not what you asked but others have thrown in their 2 cents so I did as well. My fav is the 300 WM for elk, I've also used and really like the 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:10 AM

338 win mag.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot 7-8 elk with my 270 and never had a problem. One of those shots was 340 yards. If I had the choice to get another rifle it would be a very large caliber because the 270 is good for almost everything else. So say a .338 would be a good choice so you would have a large caliber for Bear, Africa plains game and such. I really want a 375 just to play around with and maybe go on a big bear hunt with one day.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Your 270 is not too light, just choose the proper load (as others have previously stated). If you decide to step it up just because, go with somthing in the 30 cal range (300wsm, 308, 30-06 etc...). Good luck.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Delete! Wrong Reply!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Riffer

I have a 270 for deer hunting but i want to do either some moose or elk hunting in the next few years, I think that my 270 is probly to light for what I'm after so what would you guys get?
I have taken Elk with .270 150gr NP, but if one is not comfortable shooting it, go to .30-06.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

I do have to point something out. Over the past several months quite a few people flat out asked what elk rifle do you like for elk because I want something other than my .270.

The funny thing is if this was such a great elk cartridge why would these threads exist? If it wasn't marginal why would people be questioning themselves enough to come to a board and ask the question in the first place? I fear ego's may get in the way of better judgement. Maybe 20 years ago a .270 wasnear the top of the "food chain" when it came to hunting cartridges and people used them, some with success but others had "horror" stories, but the fact is nowadays they are not at the top.

I concede many elk have been shot with them but we why can't we just "evolve" a little here. There are just so many better elk cartridges and it seems like even when a guy comes and says "I WANT to buy a new rifle" some of you still want to carry on this stupid .270 on elk argument by saying "the .270 is a great elk rifle." Well it's not a great elk rifle, so let the argument die and save your "the .270 is as good as a .30 cal" for the threads where someone is obviously trying to start a debate. Why can't we just say, ".270 is ok but .xx and .xx is much better." I know why, because you are still debating if the .270 is an elk rifle and it's clouding the advice you are giving out. The .270 is way at the bottom when it comes to elk.

If someone asks for advice on where to hunt elk and you really want to help them do you send them to the area with the fewest elk, arguing that an elk can be taken there,or would you send them to where they have the best chance for success?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Ooops. Delete post.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Riffer

I think that my 270 is probly to light for what I'm after so what would you guys get?
The 270 crowd needs to shut up! I'm sick of your arguments. SHUT UP! He wants something other than a 270. So don't try to convince him that he's wrong. EITHER MAKE A SUGESTION OTHER THAN 270, OR SHUT THE HELL UP!

As a matter of fact I know of several people that think the 270 is an inferior deer cartridge. They don't trust it to shoot a whitetail. I'm not saying they're right, but prove them wrong. They've lost deer while using the 270 and opted back to their 30-06's.

Now that I got that of my chest....... 338 win, 300 win, 7mm Mag, & 300 ultra would all be excellent choices. I personally carry a 338 win elk hunting and have had excellent results
Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

7mm rem mag works for me as an all around cartridge -antelope to moose no problem.

300 wm or 338wm would be good choices to add tothe .270 win you already have.

Quick Reply: What is your favorite caliber?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.