Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What Is Your Favorite Elk Camp Set Up?

Old 12-06-2002, 03:09 PM

Default RE: What Is Your Favorite Elk Camp Set Up?

I'm interested in either acquiring my own camp set up over the off season or joining someone else. Question: Do you recommend one large tent or two smaller ones butted end to end?

EKM, Found you! I'm from Denver also, sounds like your camp is some under capacity. Would like to talk with you. Check my post over in the "Rifle Success Poll."

ColdHunter
Old 12-06-2002, 10:19 PM

ColdHunter,
Come in out of the cold, son! Email me at [email protected]. Let's talk!
EKM

Good judgement comes from bad experience! Half of elk hunting is knowing what NOT to do!
Old 12-07-2002, 11:05 AM

EKM,

I like the topic. It sounds similar to an email I read recently.

We are a heavy hunt crew also. We have a 20’X30’ main tent with 6’ sidewalls and 12’ ridge. It has two 5’X7’ entrance vestibules. We also have a separate privy and 10’X20’ general-purpose shelter. We will be substituting next year one of the military octagonal 10 person tents for the 10’X20’. This tent is heavy canvas with a heavy liner that makes it very warm and easy to heat. (I have two more that I would like to sell.)

We use a combination of wood and propane heat. We cook on gas and I like cooking on the campfire. I have some excellent quality dutch ovens that are pretty indispensable. Sleep on cots and are pretty much comfortable. I agree with you and several people here that coming to a sophisticated, warm, and comfortable camp to fill up the belly and relax after a hard days hunt is awfully nice.

We usually use a day for setup, 3 days scouting, the hunt season, and a day to break camp. We have been hunting the same general area for 13 years and know just about every nook and cranny in the area where the elk like to hole up. I would have to say that educating yourself on the area you hunt is probably the single most important time consuming thing you can do to ensure a safe and successful hunt.

Campchef
Old 12-07-2002, 08:40 PM

Ahhh a sensible topic here. ONe that hits to more than what gun shuld be used. Love it.

I use a tent trailer, modified for off road use, carry four propane bottles for heat, a small generator behind a nice 4WD rig. Used this now for four years, much better than the old 3 man tent and the ground. If there are more then three of us, we use a nylon 6 man tent for them, and only 2 of us in the trailer. We use the trailer for a meeting place, and also use the tent for a kitchen.

Toss in a folding chair for everyone, eat a lot of carbs, sensible snacks like fruit, limited libations, along with good healthy drinks like gatorade and water... we are set to go. Only one person has ever complained to me about accomodations, but he was from Brooklyn, what does he know.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt alone during ML season so I have a 4wd w/ a camper that I use as a base/supply camp.Then I bivy out for two nights at a time(nothing like it).During colder rifle seasons a couple of friends and I each bring campers so that you can have some indivdual down time if needed althuogh all meals are done together.Works for us.We are considering a wall tent in the future.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:32 PM

ColdHunter, recommend using two tents butted end to end rather than using one large one. This gives you lots more flexibility. You can sleep in one and cook or lounge in the other. If one group want's to sleep and others stay up, then everyone has a place. At night time you really only need to heat the sleeping side.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:13 AM
Spike

I like comfort. Use a 10x12 wall for the cook tent with a wood stove in it. For sleeping I have a 8x10 wall with a small propane furnace with a milivolt thermostate so I don't have to get out of bed to warm things up. Doesn't matter if we have 3 or 6 men everyone brings their own sleeping tent.
We don't have elk here but this is the moose camp. I found a spot that is reachable by boat and by quad. We take everything in with the boats. A couple of 18 footers can carry a lot of gear.
Most of the time the temperatures in late Sept early Oct are a high of 5C to 8C during the day with more than a chance of snow the odd morning.
This setup lets us hunt 28 miles of shoreline and 14 miles of swamp trail.
Happy new year everyone!!!!!!!!!May 2003 bring the big one!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2003, 01:00 PM

have had many styles of camps over the years but the one now seems to be the best a 16x20 canvas tent with wood or propane for heat generator with lights a tee pee for a rest room and a nice fire pit for reflecting the day or planning the next

htt://hhh-usa.org

nafc
annuall member
nra
rmef
Old 01-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Any of you fellers thet pack horses need to check out the horse packer's site on Baitshopboys.com. Its called "Packin' in on Horses and Mules". I'll be there 'long with my ol' friend Muleskinner, even if he's drunk mos' the time an' cain't spell good like me, he's still the onliest feller I know thet can throw a double diamond by himself and never set his beer down.

BJ
Old 01-09-2003, 07:34 PM

We do it the hard way. We hunt the Zirkel Wilderness via back-packing the gear in and back-packing the meat out. Is it hard? Oh yeah. are we alone? Oh yeah? do we get Elk? Oh yeah. I 4 with a T/C 375JDJ and teh 4 of us have another 17 over the last 12 years. I think we're pretty damned good! It's amazing what four friends can do that want to work hard on their vacation! I shot a 6X6 at 175yds. It was taken about 3 miles from camp and 7 miles from the trucks. It took us 2 days to get him down, but he's on teh wall. He scored 315--not a book, but he's a monster trophy in my mind! I'm all for getting away and doing it the hard way, afterall, I am only 50!

Quick Reply: What Is Your Favorite Elk Camp Set Up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.