Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Lets hear your scent elimination system.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lets hear your scent elimination system.

If a dog can smell drugs inside a can of gasoline and deer,elk,and bear's noses are much better than a dog's, is there really any way that we can cover our scent from them. Our breath usually smells worse than our clothes and we have to breathe. If it is down wind of you, it can smell you. Hunt the wind and thermals.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

in some places game is not spooked as bad from human odor as others. deer have gottin used to more and more odor's.

here's what i do.
all hunting clothing is stored in a closet by itself. every year before bow season i cut a few cedar tree limbs(cedars are thick where i hunt). i use my miter saw and saw them up into 1/2 in pieces. i place these in the closet.
when clothing needs washing i hand wash with baking soda only and hang outside to dry, sometimes i will hang them out in the rain and let dry.

when hunting i carry a small spray bottle of odorlock scent eliminater spray. i use it while on my stand,often if its warm.

i had over 100 deer within 10-50yards last season from all directions and not a one spooked.

i think the new odor hiding clothing is just not needed and to expensive. you can do the same thing yourself for just a bucks.i do use camo totally.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:52 PM

carbonblast spray, deoderant, mouth spray cant afford scent lock right now but i take all the other percautions. also fresh earth scent wafers.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Those scent wafers go down on my list of crazy outdoors products. Take a fresh earth scent or a pine scent like they sell, and explain to me how that works! Seriously! If I climb in my tree stand in a pine tree, don't I have just billions of pine scent molecules surrounding me? Yes, of course, so how are the extra handful of "pine scent" molecules emitted by the little bitty wafer-thingy going to make any difference? Ditto for the fresh earth or whatever other flavor they sell.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the scent wafer deal is one of the zaniest products out there. Funny thing is, I buy them, but for an entirely different use. When I'm on a multi-day backpacking elk hunt, I'll use the pine wafer for a "laundry", sticking my smelly clothes into a sealed garbage bag in my tent to try to alter the b.o. a little. Used this way, they will turn rank b.o. smell into pine smell over night, at least for my nose. Can't say it fools any elk that get downwind, so I don't really know why I bother.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Dirt2, but your missing the boat on the earth sent wafers! Multiple times, I've been within a couple of feet from deer and just a few yards from elk, and they never knew I was there. I've been using the earth sent wafers for at least 13 years, and I believe in them 100%. Some might say it was luck, but I believe, they help put one extra little piece of the puzzle in my favor. You should give them a try.

Bryan
Old 02-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wind in my favorand common sense. Use to go through many steps to try and eliminate my scent but realized it was impossible. I am scent aware but not to the point of sprays, suits, etc any longer. It hasn't changed my success rates any.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

I wask my clothes in de-scenting soap and take a shower right before the hunt with uncented soap/deoderant.

I spray my carseat with de-scent when I get in and my entire body when I get out.

Then I hunt with the wind in my favor. In Iowa out in the fields its always windy so Ive never felt the need for scent lok or other branded stuff. I think its sort of a scam - good for you if you use it, if you think it works. Its just not for me.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

With all the money I spend on hunting, If I'm not smart enough to spend 6 more dollars for a little scent cover, then shame on me. But to each his own. the most important thing though is to keep the wind in your favor.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

I too will wash all of my hunting clothes before the hunting season in scent eliminating soap and hang them outside to dry. I then place them in plastic bags or a tote with cedar sticks or branches. Hunt morning I will bath head to toe in scent eliminating soap and put on my clean scent free undies and under garments (longjohns). I also wash a beach towel that I place in the seat to sit on for the ride out. Once there I will finish getting dressed and spray everything (bow, tree stand, harness) in scent eliminating spray. I'm hot natured so I wait until I get up in the tree stand and cool off before I put on my jacket.

Like others above...it hasn't helped my success any...but I feel better about doing what I do to eliminate my skinky body odor. I also don't eat garlic for a few days before I hunt. I sweat the stuff bad.

Happy Hunting
Reid
Old 07-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Spike

Do camo patterns and scent blockers matter? ---- Buy whatevercamothat's on sale, then spit on your finger and hunt toward the cool side