Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Sombrero Outfitters

Old 02-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sombrero Outfitters

Anyone here actually hunted with them?? Are they good? Bad?

I'd like more info other than what's on their website.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sombrero Outfitters

I have hunted with them.

Good prices. Very good with horses. Good Drop Camps. There were lots of elk in the area just before we got there. Weather turned real warm and drove them into the dark timber and we did not have any experience hunting in dark timber.

I would highly recommend them. You should have some experience riding a horse. They will treat you like you know what you are doing unless you tell them different. Kevin is the main trail boss. Knows what he is doing. He treats you great - again like you know what you are doing.

I'm going back sometime, just not this fall. This is a real man's hunt. I took some flat-landers and they could not handle it. If you take the drop camp - be sure to inform everyonein the group what it is like.

They also have a horse-back hunt from the main cabin. But you will be riding horses all day, except to get off and do some walk-stalk hunting.

Their horses are real horses. None of this pony-at-the-county-fair type stock.

Anyone that goes on one of their hunts needs to be in good condition, able to ride and able to endure the conditions in the mountains. Any complainers need not apply - they will make your hunt misable.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, on the drop camp, they take the horses after they drop you off?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Correct on the horses. They take them back down. You don't want them in camp with you. It would be nice to have one or two to haul out your elk and you can rent horses from them. But you have the problem of getting hay/grain up the mountain. Best not to have the horses and just pay them to come get your elk.

The ride up to the camp is 3 to 5 miles and you will be very close to the wilderness area. Most of the ride is very easy. It is really an enjoyable trip. I recommend going in as early as possible so you can get used to being on the mountain. Don't recommend doing any scouting because you are right in the middle of your elk. You do need to be quiet around the camp so you don't push the elk away too far. Be prepared to hunt the dark timber. If I do it again I will use my .44 mag revolver. You will not have long shots in the timber and carrying a rifle in that dense cover is difficult. Everyone needs to have a GPS so you can find your way back to camp and then back to your downed elk.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Sheep Creek outfits the high country above my main elk hunt stomping grounds. The area is good, although it has been impacted by wolves from Yellowstone. Having said this, anyone not knowing this would probobly not guess that this area has seen a decline because of the wolves. Moose and deer have been hit the worst. Also, there is a good probability of taking a fall bear in this area. You might ask the outfitter what he thinks of this.

OOPs, I'm talkin' about a different outfitter than you asked about. Sorry.

A good friend of mine (who worked with me for 4 1/2 yrs.) worked for SC as a packer and guide for a number of years. He had positive things to say about them, but has since moved to a location which financially prohibits him from continuing thier working relationship.

This country does require being in good shape, as elk2901 pointed out. Very steep in some cases, lots of heavy timber, but good numbers of elk (potential for 330+ in my opinion). Beautiful country.