Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Propane Heaters in a Tent

Old 01-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Propane Heaters in a Tent

Has anyone used one of the Big Buddy propane heaters in a tent, especially above 7000 ft?

I have a 6-man Cabella's Alaskan Guide tent.

Did it do a good job for you?

Any complaints?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Propane Heaters in a Tent

Only concern is the safety feature (low oxygen cutoff).
We hunt above 10,000 ft though. Thought about getting one of those as a "backup" heat source (we use wood stoves), but like you was unsure if it would operate properly at altitude. Propane heat in general works fine, just make sure you ventilate. And use a Carbon Monoxide detecter as it could save your life!

Old 01-31-2007, 12:54 PM

double that notion... Co2 detector.... priceless!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used them before with no problem at about 8000 feet. Make sure the tent have good ventilation.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 AM

You only need it to dress in the mornings and undress in the evenings.the co2 dedector will go off the moment you light the heater ,if you need it to sleep you brought the wrong sleeping bag.My tent is warmed from the small pack stove I use to make coffee in the mornings ,my the time it perks it's warm enough to get out of the bag.

[/align]
Old 02-01-2007, 07:52 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

We don't use that particular heater but do use a two burner propane heater each year without a problem at a little over 9000 ft. Just make sure it's a ceramicheating elementand you have some vents.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: dayna0306
You only need it to dress in the mornings and undress in the evenings.the co2 dedector will go off the moment you light the heater ,if you need it to sleep you brought the wrong sleeping bag.My tent is warmed from the small pack stove I use to make coffee in the mornings ,my the time it perks it's warm enough to get out of the bag.
I like the way you think. Excellent idea!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Used propane heaters for years and only had the carbon monoxide detector go off once, and that was because the windows were closed in sealed tent. If all is working properly, the CO2 detector won't go off upon lighting the stove.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be very cautious using any kind of propane or other heater using combustible fuel in a confined, close area like a tent without sufficient ventilation both high in the encloser to let the gases (cabon monixide lighter than air, if it unexpectedly was created) and (CO2, heavier than air where you're sleeping). Both in sufficient concentrations can be deadly.
I'd check with the manufacturer and get their recommendation, warnings and read/follow exactly. If they say don't use in a tent or other unventilated enclosure... man then find another way to keep warm.
Don't make life any shorter than it already is.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 PM

I bowhunt CO every year at around 9800ft. I use an old Army "CP" tent with a liner, and I also use a butane burner [some people call it a fish cooker] (inside the tent) attached by a hose to a butane tank (outside the tent). On the burner I keep a large 1 gallon coffee pot. When I rise in the AM, I reach over and light the burner. Regardless of the temp outside,the tent and the water get just right in a few minutes. I then light the lantern and enjoy a cup of joe while getting dressed. On cold evenings after a days hunting, I might light the burner to get the chill out of the air before tunring in. BUT I NEVER LAY DOWN TO GO TO SLEEP WITH THAT BURNER LIT!!!!!!!!Had a friend in Montana who died in his tent because he fell asleep with a butane stove (bought at walmart) burning. Live and Learn!

Quick Reply: Propane Heaters in a Tent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.