Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Propane Heaters in a Tent

Old 02-02-2007, 07:28 AM

Default RE: Propane Heaters in a Tent

We camp at upper 10's and used a sport cat heater last year. Left the tent unzipedin several places. Maybe raised the temp in the tent 10degrees which did feel better although for theweight difference, buy a better bag. Was snowed in the first day which really made it nice while we played cards. Was the midranged sized, burn 16 hrs on one cyclinder. There is a larger one that sucks twice the gas.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

To answer the original question I have used a Mr Heater Big Buddy in a large tent (Sleeps 8) several times. It works well unless there is wind, if there is you won't even notice the thing is on. I'll be honest I've never used\needed the co2 sensor because the heater has a low oxygen shut off and that works great. I've even used it inside an RV with a lot of success. In fact once I forgot to vent my tent and the heater kept going out, it was driving me nuts. Once I ventilated the tent the heater stayed on so I can vouch the low oxygen shutoff works great. They are very indoor safe.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

You only need it to dress in the mornings and undress in the evenings.the co2 dedector will go off the moment you light the heater ,if you need it to sleep you brought the wrong sleeping bag.My tent is warmed from the small pack stove I use to make coffee in the mornings ,my the time it perks it's warm enough to get out of the bag.

[/align]
I'm with you on that one Dayna0306, I normally use an old Sear's Cabin Tent which is good for two guys...cot on one each side and a table in the middle. Crank up the Mister Heater at bedtime, heat the tent up, and turn it off till morning. I just make sure I know where the lighter is so I can light it from my bag and let the tent warm before getting out!!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:44 PM

My brother the heating guy bought me a detector for my 6x12 box trailer and as soon as I light my propane light or colman stove it goes off .It's was exspensive but worthless to me .maybe I'll put it in my house.please guys never go to sleep with a heater or stove burning ,buy a good hollyII filled bag on ebay for $30 and you will never need the heaters while sleeping.I have 3 different bags that I use and i have slept in -20 degrees confortably .If only I could spellllll .

[/align]
Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

“….Has anyone used one of the Big Buddy propane heaters in a tent, especially above 7000 ft?
I have a 6-man Cabella's Alaskan Guide tent.
Did it do a good job for you?
Any complaints?
I have used them as has our “neighbors” from Michigan…. Result…. Unreliable at 9000’ even if you allow a breeze to blow thru your tent (even a canvas wall tent), it is not a CO2 sensor as I understand it, it is a low oxygen sensor and at altitude you are already low on oxygen. Intermittant, unreliable heat source. We have had cold neighbors come visit us to thaw out because they relied soley on Buddy Heaters for heat. Not fit for use as the only source of heat on acold weather elk hunting trip in my opinion.

On occasion I have used a 7x9 dome tent (two men) on Winter Elk Hunts, either in spike camp or as highly mobile truck set up, and we use the straight Mister Heater and a Carbon Monoxide detector placed at bunk level. With some tent zips open just a little, we use it to warm the tent (and ourselves --- “recharge” is critical) in the evening hours as we eat and get ready for bed. We position the heater so we can turn it on and off from our cot. We shut it off for sleeping (close the zips clear shut) and then when the alarm clock goes off in the morning we light the Mister Heater from bed, let it go 5 minutes and things are warm as toast, open some zips and get dressed and eat breakfast. Leave camp warm and happy.

Some folks are pushing “just get a warmer bag”, IMHO if you are hunting elk hard day after day in challenging terrain, at altitude, and in the weather you will NEED the warm evening hours and comfortable morning launch hours to keep up both your spirits and your stamina. A bag alone, night after night, day after day with no heat is essentially unworkable for all but the “iron men” i.e. 1% of hunters.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Typical Buck

Im with EKM, I spent a week camping for elk last year with no heat other than a camp fire and I was plain whupped. Much more so then when we had a big wall tent with a big wood stove, from the minute you were back at camp you were toaster, you could get out of your heavy warm clothing and sit around and relax.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Spike

I have the same tent(Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6) and ususally camp at 5K to 6K. You don't need the Big Buddy for this tent. I have the regular size Mr. Buddy and it is more than enough.I've used it for three years and would get another if I lost this one. You can hook up a bottle to both sizes.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Mr. Buddy in my 10x14 tent. I hook it up to a 20lb tank and keep the tank outside the tent. I'm usually camped around 10,000 and it works like a champ. I can handle sleeping in the cold, but this setup is too simple and effective not to use.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

I have all kinds of heaters, the buddy heater included. They work fine at higher elevations anyways I've never hada problem. You need heaters for drying clothes and having a good comfortable evening. I spent muzzleloading season last year soaked to the bone everyday and so were the clients. Yeah we had waterproof gear but in those types of weather nothing stops the wetness. We used heaters alot, but I still will tell you honestly to buy a really good sleeping bag and turn off the heater while sleeping. We have atleast two tents in camp sleeping and eating tents. So you can leave your boots in the eating tent with the heaters running all night to dry them out and still wake up feeling good without being congested from the heaters. I wake up way before everyone else crawl out of my cold guide tent and go light the hunters heater so they have atleast an hour and half of heat before they get up. Plus it gives me time to feed the horses and saddle them. You could do the same thing by having the heater within arms reach and you could light it before getting up. But I won't sleep with a heater on. 1% or not I like the cold clean air of sleeping outdoors. And they make the bags that will do it.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

To answer the original question I have used a Mr Heater Big Buddy in a large tent (Sleeps 8) several times. It works well unless there is wind, if there is you won't even notice the thing is on. I'll be honest I've never used\needed the co2 sensor because the heater has a low oxygen shut off and that works great. I've even used it inside an RV with a lot of success. In fact once I forgot to vent my tent and the heater kept going out, it was driving me nuts. Once I ventilated the tent the heater stayed on so I can vouch the low oxygen shutoff works great. They are very indoor safe.
It may be that it worked for you. BUT the warning on the box tells you NOT to use it indoors. There's gotta be a reason for that.

Quick Reply: Propane Heaters in a Tent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.