Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana

Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Montana

Has anyone ever hunted this state?

I noticed that the tags for bighorn and mt. goat are about $1000 cheaper than most other states. Is it a hard draw?

Are there any public lands with these animals on them?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 AM

Default RE: Montana

yes these tags are extemely hard to draw. also non-rez are limited to 10% of the total quota, so your chances of drawing are pretty much nothing. We do have a pref. point system, so if you want to start racking up points you might have a chance. Now the final thing I will mention to you is that we have three unlimited sheep units. That means that yes you can simply buy a sheep tag and go sheep hunting. Do not do this. You will not kill a sheep. The only thing you'll do is see some awesome country and hike some of the nastiest mountains you've ever seen.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a resident and have been putting in for,hmmmm let's see 20 yrs and have not drawn a Moose,sheep or Mt Goat tag.
BBJ
Old 01-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

BBJ, if I didnt know better Id think you were trying to say the odds suck
Old 01-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol...yeah, it does look like the odds suck.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:51 PM

You can get an over the counter tag for sheep in the unlimiteds. It is a very difficult hunt but one that can be successfull. You have to be ready physically and mentally.But there are sheep in there and they are BIG.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Most of the sheep units have large amounts of public land. Also, Montana is known for 180+ potential on thier sheep. They are not known so much for thier goats, although there are some units with better billies if you hunt hard. Look in the BC record book for Booner goats, and you will find some better states/provinces to put in.

The unlimited areas are tough, as has been noted, but there is a possibility of taking a sheep. However, I agree with the advise not to put in for them. The skivy is that if you draw an unlimited tag and don't fill it, you can keep applying for them the next year and so on. If you draw a limited area, you can't put in for 7 years (so you had better give it your best shot).

I have a friend who used to put in for an unlimited area that no longer is offered. He spent years figuring out (mostly on foot) where to find the best sheep(or sheep period). He finally found a great spot, but there were already tons of dudes hunting it. The hunters in unlimited units basically stake out the sheep prior to season, kill in the first couple of days, and then the unit closes due to the quotas being filled. The sheep in these units are not generally known for their size, although (like anywhere else), it is possible to find what you are looking for.

Put in for your points, if you spend the money and the time applying in a number of states, you will draw a tag. Hopefully you will still be young enough to scale the mountains.

Wyoming has a different system, where the people with the most preference points are alloted a better percentage chance for the majority of the tags. I.e. if you have 10 pts. you are basically guaranteed a tag in a number of units. You can apply for points only in July (100.00 ea. for bighorn), and when you get close, apply for the tag. However, in Wyoming you have to have an outfitter if you are hunting wilderness.

I posted a question wondering if anyone is a member of the Huntin' Fool, but it hasn't been answered, so I can only assume not many members of this site are. Check it out. It lays out 11 western states, draw odds on all species, when to apply, etc.... There are quite a number of sheep op's. out there.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey,

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

You bet.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You got that Buckshot.LOL
I have a freind thatdrew a sheep tag for the Missouri Breaks 2 years ago,he has been putting for as long as I have.He ended up witha 186 and something ram.It wasn't the biggest ram we saw but he was easy.LOL
I do have a freind that hunts and outfits in that area also,he and his wife have taken rams over 190+,and they guided a guy from PAto a 193 last year.
So if you draw a Montana tag there is deffinate possibility to a Booner.
BBJ

Quick Reply: Montana

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.