Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunt 2007

Old 03-06-2007, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk hunt 2007

Have you been on the ([email protected]) site? They can probably answer your question in their forum section.I'm planning a DIY muzzleloader hunt for the San Isabel in 2008 and they have more info on their site than any that I've seen. They're very helpful. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M77man

I'm doing the combo. I might not be back for another 4 or 5 years so I'm going to make it count as much as possible. I don't want to be kicking myself for driving all the way out from Michigan for nothing not even a chance. It just wouldn't make any sense. The other crazy part is that I may have to do this hunt alone so does anyone know if I can do a DYI hunt and have it set up where I can call for help to come get my kill if I have a GPScoordinate?
I know there are guys you can pay to haul your kill out.I can make a couple of phone calls and find out for you if I knowapprox where you'll be hunting.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

"does anyone know if I can do a DYI hunt and have it set up where I can call for help to come get my kill if I have a GPScoordinate? "

You'll want to know where you will be hunting and you will need to arrange for someone in advance. If your in decent shape you can pack one out a elk a couple of miles with a decent pack (some guys can do much further: but I suspect that most of those who have packed out elk 5 to 10 miles were stretching the distance...), but beware the altitude and terrain can kick your butt. I know hunters who have ruined their knees carrying too heavy of loads in too steep of country.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: wyomingtrapper

"(some guys can do much further: but I suspect that most of those who have packed out elk 5 to 10 miles were stretching the distance...),
I think these are the same guys who can shoot 1/2 inch groups at 500 yards as well. Its amazing what some people on this internet can "do"
2 miles in the mountains packing an elk is a long, long ways. If you can pack out an elk in less than 3 packs then they are tougher than me. So three trips...2miles out, 2miles back, 2 miles out, 2 miles back, & 2miles out....If I'm not wrong I think thats 10 miles. 10 miles in the mountains half with a 60 lbs pack.... You are totally whipped afterwards.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Amen on the whipped part shato. We did 2 from4 miles, 3 of us in one day. I have never been so tired, my feet felt like they had been hit by sandpaper. After that weekend, I quit elk hunting, until the next weekend anyway.

If you do it by yourself, just make sure that you are prepared, the mounatins have a way of gobbling up even the most experienced. Make sure that whatever you do, leave a travel plan with someone and don't stray from it....
Old 03-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

drs1961
Where is San Isabel?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Does anyone have any suggestions on info for details on how to quarter up, prep and handle elkmeat to keep it from spoiling on early season hunts(september)? I'll be muzzleloader hunting in the San Juan forest this
fall. Are there any lockers or places to keep meat for several days short of keeping on ice in coolers?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

onebigelk, San Isabel Nat. For. is southwest of Colorado Springs.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

drs1961, thanks, I noticed your planning a ML hunt in San Isabel. How many acres is it? Have you hunted there before. If so how was it. I just
purchased my first ML and am having a blast learning it. If I get drawn
I am going to hunt the San Juan NF this fall. between Durango and Pagosa Springs. If I don't get drawn, I will be hunting the 2nd rifle season. Hopefully my dad, my cousin and my uncle will be comming along. Regardless I will be going. I can't wait. I have vacation time scheduled
for both. I do have someML questions for anyone that might care to help
me out.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

onebigelk, the San Isabel NF stretches through GMU 69 and 84. Those units are combined andrequire several preference points to draw a tag. This year I'm getting my third point so hopefully I'll get drawn next year. I haven't been to that area before but the limited number of hunters allowed for the area is appealing to me. Hopefullywe'll not have to deal with a crowd which it always seems like thereare a few rogues in who ruin a hunt. I'm researching the area and will head out early to scout since I'll be retired by then and will finally have the time to do it right. I've hunted with muzzleloaders for a number of years so I might can answer your questions with some degree of accuracy. Fire away.

Quick Reply: Elk hunt 2007

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.