Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Is anyone a member of the Huntin' Fool?

Old 01-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is anyone a member of the Huntin' Fool?

Carter's Hunter Services is a great way to find premium draw hunting locations throughout the west. I thought I would share that, as it is helping me draw bonus points for various species in great units.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is anyone a member of the Huntin' Fool?

I'm also a member of that service. I'm not sure how much it really benefit's me b/c I never seem to be able to draw a tag, but it's great reference for deadlines and unit information.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Out of curiosity, do you have them apply you? If so, do you have them put you in for the best trophy units? I joined a year ago and use it to apply myself, however, I usually try to pick units I think I can draw in the next 5-15 years. Having the points can be great if new opportunities arrise.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

I apply for my own tags in about 6 different states. I actually enjoy staying up on all the deadlines, changes, and stats, not to mention that it would get a little pricey for them to apply me in 6 diff states for several diff species. I will say that they are probably one of the cheaper services for what they provide if one was to chose a "tag" service. Even thoughI rarely draw a tag, applying for them and anticipating the draw/possibility is for some wierd reason exciting for me. I guess living in IN and only getting to visit the mountains out West once a year will do that to a guy.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I get a kick out of the app. process too. I have kept track of a couple of guys who have been putting in for 10-12 years or so in 8-10 states for multiple species, and they are drawing a tag or two a year now. In some cases, they do points only so they don't draw too many tags each season. If a guy had the financial means to do that (assuming you put in for your own tags to mitigate costs), by the time they drew the tags they originally wanted and went on those hunts, they would draw enough points on the others to start over again - continuous flow ofdecent/primotags after acertain amount of timeinvested.

By the way, my app.'s have been limited to three states up until a year ago, but knowing about the info. in HF will allow me to put in for several more at minimal extra cost.