Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Ground blind bear hunters/outfitters?

Old 01-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Banned

Default Ground blind bear hunters/outfitters?

I want to film my upcoming bow bearhunt this fall in ON in one of my Double Bull blinds. Do you guys that do this leave the blind out each night or take it back to camp each night? Do the bears accept them well on a same day setup? At $400 a blind, I don't really like the idea of coming back to hunt in the afternoononly tofind my blind trashed by a bear.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:29 PM

Default RE: Ground blind bear hunters/outfitters?

I've never done it, but I would think that as long as you brushed the blind in and left as little human scent as possible you would be able to leave the blind out without the bears tearing into it.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:53 PM

HCH, I have done it. I have a nephew who is in a wheelchair and he shota 300# boarat 10yrds with a crossbow. We put it out the same day and brushed it with fresh pine. I would be very hesitant to leave one out over night. As curious as bears are, they will definately smell or sense something and will probably investigate it. Possibly ripping it up. Also, be prepared for some very close encounters while sitting in the blind. Its a rush!

Edited to add: He shot it the first night and it was the 3rd bear at the bait.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Banned

Thanks Dan. I think that this type of bearhunting has to be the ultimate in your face bear hunting. Ever have a bear mess with the blind while the hunter or you was in the blind?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:11 PM

Had them walk up and look in the window. Just flick them in the nose. As you already know, bears are very curious. If they see the blind, they will probably check it out. Harmless, but it still gets the blood pumpin!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man you guts are making me jelious. A bow bear hunt is my dream. good luck with the hunt HC.
Dan
Old 01-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

HCH, Same day sets work fine. Also the bears dont mind the black hole effect. And last but not least DONT let your blind out overnight. The bear will trash it. Good luck
Old 01-26-2007, 06:46 AM

can't wait to see the hunt HCH.
you'll get extra "points" if you do flick one on the nose

How's the ankle doing?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Buellhunter

can't wait to see the hunt HCH.
you'll get extra "points" if you do flick one on the nose

How's the ankle doing?
LOL Dave!! Ankle better everyday, thanks for asking. Same one I injured 6 years ago when hita deer with my Harley. Probably have problems with it the rest of my life. Good luck with the new store. Look forward to seeing you.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ground blinds for bears IS a rush. Same day setups wont bother them. I do leave mine out for various reasons , but then again, I use a cheapo ameristep with the TSC. The last two years I had the blind there for a month or longer. I have been very lucky, but would be hesitant at leaving a high dollar blind set up.

Last year I had the bear I killed walk away from the bait and right towards the blind. He must have heard me getting into position and drawing and stood up a mear 12 yards away. I was able to nail him in the dead center of the chest. He died right next to the bait pile and let out 5-6 death moans that echoed the canyon. I can still hear it in my head. You are in for a treat. I wouldn't mind tree stands but have a definate phobia of heights. I would rather go face to face with a bear, than climb a tree!!!!

Quick Reply: Ground blind bear hunters/outfitters?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.