Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Article in recent Field & Stream on....

Old 02-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Article in recent Field & Stream on....

ORIGINAL: shotgun31

Theextremely long-range shooting at big game, with a50 BMGround that just keeps going, and going, causesconcern to my estimation. There's discussion in anotherforum about people (I won't give them the courtesy of calling them hunters)cruising l the logging roads with these 50 BMG's, and shooting at elkat a mile 'srange. I can't imagine howthese shooters can effectly operatesafety when they arecontrolling territory out to the end of the mile, then1700 yards beyondtheelk in the event of a miss.I didn't hunt groundhogs in Pennsylvania with my 30-06 and 180 grain loads for a reason. Where's the bullet going after I fired it?I don't think this activity meets the definition of sportsmanship conduct. Just my humble opion.
I agree, I think that they're being irresponsible[:'(]
Old 02-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I felt nauseas after reading that article, a guy having the scope rip his eyebrow off! And a 300 mph wind coming from the muzzlebreak!

Yikes!
That's not the kind of gun I would want to be using.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont really have a big arsanal of rifles but mine does include a .50bmg I wish all of you could experence shooting it. At 32lbs it's not that bad of recoil. No I dont run 100's rounds a year through it , maybe100 or so just enough to keep me in practice. I would never shoot a animal with it. Not what I got it for, it is only for my range. I love shooting long range and it is very hard trying to hit a 12in circle at 1000 yards with some kind of grouping. I should be shooting it alot more but just dont have the time. I read the artical and it is impressive what they are doing from the stand point , they are carring a 30lb rifle every where they go. That cant be fun. I know from my army years.
I think they could have as much fun shooting at the range. I know I do, my hunting buddies always want to see me shoot it ,but wont do it there selves. All I have to say is live a little go shoot one.