Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Human Urine

Old 01-22-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Human Urine

There's an old myth that deer will not come into an area that has human urine. I recently read an article that this is not true. In fact, during the rut, it has been proven that urinating on deer scrapes on trees will bring a buck back to the area to check it out. To make sure no one is interfering with their territory. Has anyone else heard of this? Can we finally leave the urine bottles at home?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Human Urine

Since nobody else seems to want to take this one, I'll give it a go. I started bow hunting for deer in 1981 (at age 11) in my previous home state of Illinois. We always carried the proverbial "bottle", but sometime in the early to mid 90's we found a report in a hunting rag having to do with the study of deer reaction to urine odor.

The study involved the use of doe, buck and human urine on scrape sites. Bucks were most interested in the human urine odor first, other bucks second, and doe urine third. The reasoning the biologist gave was that a buck sees other bucks as competition, and wants to know who that will potentially be. The human urine aparently is similar enough in make-up that the buck is either extremely curious, or his territorial/agressive tendencies tell him a new rival is in his space.

Not all of the bucks were interested in the different scents in the above order, just the majority of them. I don't remember the percentage. I have seen a couple of similar articles/studies since, which basically agree with this. I still believe that less scent is better, so if you can hold it great, if not, don't worry about it. My success ratio stayed about the same either way, and I don't get caught holding the bottle instead of my bow.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive personaly had no luck with any deer scent.as a matter of fact,i have alot more luck without it.mabe the time of year,who knows.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:25 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Human urine is sterile when it exits the body,everything that I have read says they can't tell if its human or animal, that being said I've peed out of my treestand for 40 yrs and never had any telltale scent problems.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

I tell ya what, I would NEVER in a million years try that, I am sure that their isa couple days out of the year when a buck is at its peak rut that maybe he looses his marbles enough to get away with that, but, with all of us hunters doing our absolute best to be scent free and using all the scentlok and scent killer clothes and spraying down b4 and after we get in the tree, not getting dressed until we get to the woods,keeping our stuff in scentlok bags and plastic totes,WHY in the name of god would anyone even think of urinating around their stand no matter what time of year it is..I am a firm believer in scent elimination not the other way around,We as hunters know what and what not to do in and around the tree, and to ME that is a no-no..
Old 01-26-2007, 01:13 AM
usa
Fork Horn

pyclub1,you are certainly entitled to your opinion but let me respond to defend myself. First I have over 50 yrs of north american hunting experience including Canada and Mexico, my house and garage are littered with a ton of racks all taken on public land including deer (whitetail and muleys ) caribou/elk plus many pigs . that being said let me share with you my opinion of your various scent products and camo, 90% are created to make money and are totally unnessesary in most situation's, they are like fishing lures, about 6 lures will catch any fish swimming but we have literally millions of lures to choose from. What you do to get ready to hunt is more of a pychological preparation to boost your confidence than a necessity for a succesful hunt , are there times when you would have the advantage over a "scented " hunter? of course, but if you know what you are doing and have done your homework you can be a successful hunter without the marketing strategy. in upstate NY I know some of the most successful whitetail hunters in america and I doubt if they can even spell scentloc.I taught bowhunter ed classes for 6 years and in the thousands of students there were always a percentage that had to have every do-dad known to man on their bows and on their backs but in the end its the man who is the hunter not the attachments !This morning I went trout fishing useing the same old bait that I've used for 15 yrs and caught an 11lb rainbow and 4 others in the 2 lb class, everyone that was looking at my fish was astounded that I hadn't used the newest CRAVE bait or Nitro gravy and thought I was joking about what I used,So you keep buying into the scent-loc program and I'll just muddle along the way I have been peeing out of my treestand and killing and eating lots of animal's.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:21 AM
usa
Fork Horn

Forgot to mention that I came out of the woods about 2 miles from my truck and hitched a ride with a guy who appeared to be totally scentloced,he kinda looked like a ninja warrior ,in the course of the ride this fella had a little gas and scent-loc or no scent-loc we had to open the windows !
Old 01-27-2007, 07:31 PM

usa, that's pretty funny! I agree with you. I've peed out of my treestand many times and it has not affected my chances of seeing deer.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: usa

Human urine is sterile when it exits the body,everything that I have read says they can't tell if its human or animal, that being said I've peed out of my treestand for 40 yrs and never had any telltale scent problems.
i sit in a chair to hunt....stand up turn aroundand pee..

so im with you no problems
Old 01-28-2007, 09:36 AM

You tree peers are looking down first aren't you? (lol)

One staple that always goes in my fanny pack . . . toilet paper! I do cover it with pine needles best I can, but I don't care what I do, I always have to #2 shortly after entering the woods! Doesn't seem to run anything off. In fact, there are many hunters who have stories of how they were "caught with their pants down" when that elk came by! T.P. was close . . . gun wasn't.

Quick Reply: Human Urine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.