Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Eating Bear????

Old 01-23-2007, 03:24 PM

Default RE: Eating Bear????

All the old trappers and mountain men knew that bear meat was good, but you had to get all the fat off the meat as it would make it rancid...
But, they also said, to a man, that the fat-pure white -when rendered -made the best cooking oil you could get for frying , almost anything.
I always thought it curious that it worked out that way..
Leep Out:
Old 01-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

seems to me it matters what the bears been eating. before this last fall i heard that bears on a fish diet were terrible. i shot one of those on prince of wales island, and it was god aweful!

the year before i shot a fall bear near tree line in the alberta mountains. the best meat ive ever eaten.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:25 PM

I had it once and wasn't very fond of it. the texture of the meat is different. I suggest putting it in a stew or marinating the heck out of it!

Just imagine yourself sinking your teeth into dog meat. Same family..Cannine.[:'(][:'(]
Old 01-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

I had it once and wasn't very fond of it. the texture of the meat is different. I suggest putting it in a stew or marinating the heck out of it!

Just imagine yourself sinking your teeth into dog meat. Same family..Cannine.[:'(][:'(]

actually thats pretty funny the part about eating dog. it was documented by lewis and clark that the best meat they ate on their entire expedition were horse and dog. and they tried it all.

see, eatin them bears isnt so bad after all!!!

Old 01-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

ya know huntnmuleys is right it is well noted in history that dog is one of the finest tasting meats their is..Not goingto go to the living room and shoot stormy to find out but its been written many times...