Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

mule deer

Old 01-19-2007, 08:44 AM

Default mule deer

I am applying for a unit with good odds for a tag in Wyoming for mule deer. I am familiar with the area somewhat because i have elk hunted near there in the past. I have sceen many good bucks in the area durring the december late hunts i have been on down lower. The unit is all national forest with peaks as high as 13,000 feet. I have studied the area considerably on google earth and found that most of the timber is at around 9,000 feet or lower....Above that it seems like there are just the big alpine basins with no trees........Any suggestions on where to spend my glassing time starting OCT 01? I am going to be walking in and camping with the bears.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: mule deer

I would find some high points that overlook those basins you mentioned, which keep the wind friendly, and give you a non-skylined spot to glass from. Also, keep in mind that you will need an exit strategy from these glassing points, so make sure you have some cover to move behind if available. Try using Google Earth satellite imagery to look at your area. Sometimes the images they have to offer are less than great, but it can replace the need to travel to your hunt zone for a summer scout (if you live umpteen miles away).
Old 01-23-2007, 11:44 AM

It seems like there are basins with the timber in it so focusing on the fringes of the timber with the spotting scope would be important but those are below 10,000 feet . But above that the basins have no trees in them and go up to 13,000 feet and are mostly grass and rocky....These would be very tough to get up on top of..... I guess i just need to get out there and do it...........I will be talking again to the biologist again for my unit to get a better idea where to start. Thanks for all your help.....
Old 01-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

Recently I called a Colorado DOW office to talk to a biologist about mule deer in an area I am looking at hunting this fall. I found out that they also have an employee within their department known as a deer researcher. This is apparently not a biologist, since I was able to get his number as well, but a person who just looks into deer related stuff for the state.

This particular guy spends a lot of time running around tracking down radio collared deer that have "quit moving," or died. He had a lot more info. than the biologist by a long shot. In fact, I have found the majority of biologists I have talked to are not very forthcoming with information. I don't think they see hunter relations as a big part of their job.

You may not find that all states or areas have a deer researcher, but if they do it could be a jackpot of info. Game wardens also seem to be more informative than the average biologist.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 AM

I have found that in my research that the bioligists i have spoken with have been very helpful with general information at least in a few states. The more specific questions you have the more info they will give out. Another thing i have found is one of them i talked too gave me information of a few very hard to draw units that aren't producing good deer that just have a reputation to prodcuce 5 years ago. So guys are applying for years and then getting a tag and not finding good bucks.Some i have talked too want you to get your tag and then call back to give you better information on a unit. Going into a state blindly and just applying i think is a mistake. Another tip i have learned is to try and confirm everything you hear from these guys if possible. Maybe they hunt in that unit or have freinds and just dont' want out of state people applying. I havent' had as good of luck with the game wardens even one that i spoke with in person 2 years ago wasnt' willing to give out any info on a mule deer unit i was considering.Its tough when you dont' know the area I guess.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck wish I had some info for ya,at the time I dont, I am going to talk to my uncle who lived in wyoming for 20+ years I will ask what info he has and what hes got to say...