Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help me relocate perhaps?

Old 01-14-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Help me relocate perhaps?

I am a teacher, and amthinking of making a move out west so I can elk hunt and teach.
I know somethings about Elk hunting, but not a whole bunch, but would love to get into it seriously. Of course, since I will be teaching, I will need an area that is, well, easy access and most likely has a large concentration of elk.
Any suggestions ona state? I am really open to anything, except Utah.
I really like Sante Fe and Flagstaff, both are great.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:20 AM
usa
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help me relocate perhaps?

Santa Fe might be a good choice , forget Flagstaff you might not draw an elk tag in your lifetime. New Mexico is a good draw state or consider Colorado around Durango lots of elk ( not many huge bulls ) and the tag is over the counter. Montana has a great muledeer/elk combo licence, but with that being said I've often thought about moving to one of my hunting states but then it seems foolish to move to another state for a 2 week or less season.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:59 PM

I'd say your a lucky guy to be able to relo to any state you want just to elk hunt. You have Montana, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and not Utah. To name a few. I guess you have to figure out how much you like cold weather, snow and what off season activities you do. There is a website out there to determine the best place for you to live. I can't remember the address. Maybe someone else will see this and help you out.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would relolcate to Colorado. Good Elk population, Mule Deer, Whitetails,Big horn, Mountain goat, Bear, did I miss any. Well good luck with your decision.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Colo needs teachers and pays them well in some districts. Easy to get a job here too. My wife taught here last 5 yrs and loves it and is working on her M.Ed. She'll be a principal next yr some time. And we both hunt big game, bad thing is she dont get much time off as I do to elk hunt.

Come on down, as long as you ain't from California. Colo has enough of them nuts here.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:48 AM
usa
Fork Horn

SILVERTIP-CO, I got your california nuts hanging !! It takes a real A-HOLE to paint everybody with the same brush .
Old 01-17-2007, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I lived there for 13 yrs.hated the people most of the time,I moved to Wi. and its all about the hunting/fishing,cause i hate everyone,(mabe its me?)
ORIGINAL: usa

SILVERTIP-CO, I got your california nuts hanging !! It takes a real A-HOLE to paint everybody with the same brush .
Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Ditto on that SilverTip
Old 01-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Campo:

Santa Fe needs good teachers, and hunters. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Campo... I would avoid Arizona, because even as a resident tags are very hard to draw...The hunting is great, but what good does it do you if it you can only draw a license to hunt every 7 or 8 years...You are better off to live in a state where the odds of drawing a tag are much better and then , if you want, apply in AZ as a nonresident..

I've hunted in NM several times, and it's a great elk state and odds of drawing a tag are much better than AZ...

Colorado is also worth considering and the mule deer hunting there has been getting increasingly better since they went to an all draw system for deer a few years ago..

Montana is another good choice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.