Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How do I go about planning an Elk hunt?

Old 01-18-2007, 09:34 AM

Default RE: How do I go about planning an Elk hunt?

I would also recommend a back up plan. Weather factored in our high alt. hunt big time this year. Not many animals left in the area, should have been 2000' lower in elevation. Had the signs late sept. when 2' of snow was reported.Didn't think it would bother them; was wrong. Had the area scouted mid septand the nights were veryloud withthe rut. Alsatianwrote a great piece.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think Alsatian has many good points, especially about preparation you need to start working on even now to get information, equipment and conditioning yourself for hunting in mountaneous areas.
I would disagree with one point he made though. Success rate for taking an Elkdoes not have to be low, if you do all you can do, make contacts with people in the area you plan to hunt. Then once you're there talk to local people as a guest of their town and explain what you're doing and any ask if they have heard of or have been successful in certain areas.
Most, not all, people will be of help, if you present yourself with humility and respect for them. It's their home, treat it as such.
We went into a new area in WY that we hadn't hunted before this year. My friend contacted the CO in another area that we'd hunted before and go the name/number of the CO in our new area. He called and talked to her and got some info. We talked to a fellow we happened to see at the rifle range outside of town once we got there. It turned out he was the new sheriff there. He was very helpful and told us about a long creek on the North of the area and particular draws that we should hunt. The 3 of us had cow/calf tags, which at end of Nov., when we went made it somewhat better chance. We hunted very hard. Got out of our vehicle and hiked 8-10 miles / day ave., glassing, looking for sign. A little snow helps a lot to find the areas they are in of course. We were successful in once we saw them on a couple occasions moving at the top of ridges early, we did not directly track them. We had to be very sure of the wind direction of course and working 1/4 mile to the side all away around to get in front. That can be very tough. But if they are feeding as they go, you have a chance. We each had our opportunities and each got our Elk. So, it can be done. On your first several hunting trips, if at all possible, find a friend or guide that someone you know recommends you can absolutely trust and who knows how to hunt Elk. Without this knowledge, it will be very tough.
Either way you'll work harder than you've probably worked in your life. But I'll bet you'll do it again and again, if you have the chance.
Anyway, good luck and be safe.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

ya i would go colorado, idaho or montana i hunt colordo in the nw colrado near maybell,meeker,craig in gmu 11 and 211 its a nice place and u need 0 prefence points. or i could also reccomend down in the san juan area but i dont know much abt it exept its a good place
Old 01-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no doubt about physical conditioning being important. However I am handicapped, and have had successful elk hunts. I would suggest that first you determine(if you already haven't) what type of hunt. Rifle, ML, or bow. Second determine exactly how much you are willing to spend. I would suggest you draw for CO ML hunt, then go from there. $1500 to $2000 should get you a good do it yourself hunt. White River area in CO is great for do-it-your-selfers. Tom.