Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need Caribou outfitter recom.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Caribou outfitter recom.

I don't think Tuttilick is bow only, although they tend to cater to bowhunters and may have some bow only camps... Many hunters hedge thier bets by taking along a rifle or two in the party just to be sure they can fill thier tags if the critters are scarce or the bowhunting is tough for some reason..

Some outfitters offer 1x1 or 2x1 guided hunts, for more $$ of course, but the "standard" hunt consists of a camp manager who will steer you to the right areas, perhaps run you around with a boat and help you take care of your animals, but you basically hunt on your own..
Old 01-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Any reason why Tuttulik is about $1000 less than the competition?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Blackheel,

I put a group together and we had 12 people in camp. We took 24 bulls and out of that 15 where taken with a bow the others with gun.

Tuttulik is considered unguided but outfitted. Theres 2 Campmen in camp that are really guides. They are on "Lac Minto" and thats the name of the HUGE lake where their camps are set up. They use boats for transportation if the Caribou are not near camp. These boats are a VERY valuable tool. We would travel up to 18 miles from camp to get into the Caribou. Some days we where right by camp. This was nice because we where able to get to the Caribou. When we shot our Caribou the Campman would quarter our bou out and get it to the boat if we wanted. These guys where guides basically. They busted their backs to make sure we where happy and filled our tags. To be honest you dont need a 2X1 on a Caribou hunt.
They also had a floatplane for support for their camps. Everything was top notch. Food was great, and we saw huge bulls almost every day. With Lac Minto its a staging area for the rut. Lots of Bulls hang in that area before the migration south. I saw im guessing about 700 Caribou for the week. My buddys where in a different boat and they got into the Migration one day and they saw thousands in one day alone.

Your welcome to call me at home and ask anything we went through if you want. Anyone wants to talk shoot me a PM and I can give you my phone number.

When I looked into the bou hunts I got it down to 2 and it was Jack Hume and Tuttulik. I went with Tuttulik due to it being a bit cheaper and having a group of guys I know hunt with them 2 years before that

Don
Old 01-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

I would also highly recommand Jack Hume Adventures. I hunted with them last year and was very impressed with the attention to details. It's a second generation business. Jack is no longer involved. His son Richard and wife Amanda run the show. They are in constant communication with all camps that have hunters. In addition, they have scouts in other areas checking for the migration. If they end up putting hunters in unproductive areas, they will move you to an area that has seen action.

Good luck,
Old 01-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input.

Decisions Decisions

I have been close to choosing Safari Nordik but can't make that final decision.

Tuttulik sounds good.

I did contact a Jack Hume hunter that had hunt they were less than pleased with (mostly the treatmentby the guides/camp staff and lack of effort in tracking wounded bou) how the hunt went. They did come home with 2 per hunter too.

I guess I need to contact Tuttulik because their website doesn't give me all the info I'd like.

Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 PM

Try a self guided hunt in Alaska...It worked for me (photo included).

If you want details feel free to PM me.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:58 PM

My buddies and I went last October with Safari Nordik. The trip went off without a hitch and they were a very well run organization. Good luck with your selection and finally your hunt.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Fork Horn

i hope tuttlik is the real deal, im booked for 08.

i did a winter hunt with mirage a few years back. that was fun, they treated ya good. seemed like a decent operation.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah they (Tuttulik) are who I am leaning towards right now.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

huntnmulies,

What camp are you going to? Whens your trip?

They are the real deal.

Don

Quick Reply: Need Caribou outfitter recom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.