Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

any tips on a do it you're self elk hunt in CO

Old 11-26-2002, 02:19 PM

Default any tips on a do it you're self elk hunt in CO

My hunting budies and I are thinking about going elk hunting in colorado. We are all avid White tail hunters and two of us have hunted other big game animals in AK. We also have The guid tents and camping equipment needed to do our own hunt. were just looking for a good place to go on public land where we have the best chances of seeing somthing. If any one Knows of a good spot where we can park on public land and pack in, or any good hunting grouds that are easly accesable, also is it possible to park the vehicals somewhere and rent horses for a few days.

If anyone has any good advice for a do it youre self elk hunt please share youre wizdom!

Edited by - flying247 on 11/26/2002 15:51:18
Old 11-26-2002, 03:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Spike

Default RE: any tips on a do it you're self elk hunt in CO

Robert,
Congratulations on your NonTypical status!

And all the good advise you give.

Blackhawk

-----Every day is a great day in Eastern Montana-----
Old 11-27-2002, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Call Colorado Division of Wildlife and order the big game stastics book. If gives game management unit information: how much game, how many hunters, success rates, etc. Almost all the info in that book can be had at their website, but is harder to decifer until you are familiar with Colorado. Don't be surprised when no one on here tells you to hunt "suchandsuch Mountain". Most people that have a good place to hunt found it after years of research/hunting.

I would suggest that you might consider applying for a cow tag to get you feet wet. You have to apply by April, but the chances of drawing are good in most areas, and your success rate will probably be better. Also, tags are $250 vs. a bull tag at $470 (probably will be higher next year). Find a promising area, and use the cow hunt to really scout it for the next year. Good luck
Old 11-27-2002, 07:47 PM

I suggest getting the Big Game CD from the Colorado DNR web site. This has maps and lots of the info that you are asking for on it.........THEN Hike hard and hunt high!

I love hunting the high country in Colorado. I always go self guided. It is more fun that way! Good luck.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Start getting in shape. Being able to get where you want to go, and not being tired will help you enjoy your hunt that much better.

"Im not a guide, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently"
Old 11-29-2002, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Don K hit on one thing - get in shape, the other thing prepare for winter. Because of the altitude you'll be sucking wind and the weather here can change VERY quickly. Monitor the radio for weather reports, carry survial gear when hunting and chains in your vehicle.

there is no subsitute for quality
Old 11-30-2002, 09:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm sure you know already but I'm going to say it anyway. Get into GOOD shape and be prepared for any weather from sunny to blizzard. Look at Pike national forest as a start for good chances at seeing elk. I would call some of the outfitters and see if they could give you any info. If they are decent people then they should be able to point you in the right direction. If you are wanting to hunt somewhat close to the road then I would think about going in the later seasons. The elk will be more concentrated down low the more snow we have up high.