Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

7mm Ultra Mag

Old 12-21-2006, 08:12 AM

Default 7mm Ultra Mag

Im taking a trip to Canada for either Moose or Caribou and was wondering if a 7mm ultra mag is enough gun. If we take that Caribou trip i was told to expect shots out to 300 yards and mabee farther. Im using the trip to buy a new gun and i like the 7mm mag but never had an excuse to get one so im gonna get an ultra mag instead.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7mm Ultra Mag

7mm rem mag is up to the task, so the 7mm RUM will just do it a little flatter and quicker.

Do you reload? If not skip the RUM andgo with the 7mm rem mag instead. Reason being factory ammo offerings do not meet the potential of the RUM and are limited.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:08 AM

I like the flatter trajectory of the RUM. I do not reload. I was going to but then i decided to go into the Marines so it wouldnt be worth reloading for a couple months.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stick with the Rem Mag vs the RUM. Like skeeter said, loads are limited, and factory offerings do not take full advantage of the case size in the RUM. The Rem Mag only lacks slightly behind the RUM in factory offerings, and isn't worth it IMO unless you are shooting LONG range, like 500 yards. Under 300 yds, a moose or caribou wouldn't know the difference, providing you do your part.

Later,

Marcial
Old 12-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 6.5x55 will handle those chores so I guess the 7MM UM should do it too.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:04 PM

For shots under 500 yards, the Ultra Mags, IMHO, just are not worth it, for the kinda shots you mentioned, the 7mm Rem Mag would do fine, but, you don't even need a magnum, really.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:15 PM

I think im going to get a 7mm ultramag instead of the 7mm mag. I have a 30-06 but it dosnt shoot well with bullets heavier then 150 grains. Actually it only shoots goot with Winchester Balistic Silvertips. Any other bullet it shoots around 2.5 to 4 in groups at 100 yards. And i have many smaller rifles(223, 204, 22mag, 243). I found a 7mm Ultra Mag on sale at a local gun shop for around $400. He just wants to get rid of it. A friend of my dads is going to try some handloads for it to see how much power we can get out of it. Thanks for your input everyone.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Retaks

I think im going to get a 7mm ultramag instead of the 7mm mag. I have a 30-06 but it dosnt shoot well with bullets heavier then 150 grains. Actually it only shoots goot with Winchester Balistic Silvertips. Any other bullet it shoots around 2.5 to 4 in groups at 100 yards. And i have many smaller rifles(223, 204, 22mag, 243). I found a 7mm Ultra Mag on sale at a local gun shop for around $400. He just wants to get rid of it. A friend of my dads is going to try some handloads for it to see how much power we can get out of it. Thanks for your input everyone.
That really sounds scary!! If you are not sure what you are doing stop!!!!!!
There are books for reloading it is not a guessing game!!!!!!!

Read the ballistics and go from there .

DO NOT PLAY WITH LOADS!!

That gun is cheap for a reason & I would guess some moron was trying to hop it up!!!!!!!!!! You should be seeing big red flags!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: motrin

ORIGINAL: Retaks

That really sounds scary!! If you are not sure what you are doing stop!!!!!!
There are books for reloading it is not a guessing game!!!!!!!

Read the ballistics and go from there .

DO NOT PLAY WITH LOADS!!

That gun is cheap for a reason & I would guess some moron was trying to hop it up!!!!!!!!!! You should be seeing big red flags!!!!!!
Motrin, I'm just glad that I'm not on his family tree.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 PM

Its a brand new Remington 700 SPS SS in 7mm Ultra Mag. He has had it for almost a year and noone bought it or even looked at it so he is giving me a big deal on it because i buy most of my guns from him and he dose all my gunsmithing. My family is on a first name basis at the gunshop. We are in there atleast 4 times a week gettin ammo or targets or whatever else we need. I know not to play with loads. By playing with them is see how accurate we can get the gun to shoot with which bullets. Not just guess and put powder in the brass. I might not be book smart but i have enough common sense to know better then do that.

Quick Reply: 7mm Ultra Mag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.