Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

7mm Ultra Mag

Old 12-22-2006, 06:11 AM

Default RE: 7mm Ultra Mag

I'm glad to hear that. There is plenty of safe reloading data out there ,thats what makes it so stupid when some one thinks they can mix up some super load for their rifle.
have fun and shot safely.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

ORIGINAL: motrin

ORIGINAL: Retaks

I think im going to get a 7mm ultramag instead of the 7mm mag. I have a 30-06 but it dosnt shoot well with bullets heavier then 150 grains. Actually it only shoots goot with Winchester Balistic Silvertips. Any other bullet it shoots around 2.5 to 4 in groups at 100 yards. And i have many smaller rifles(223, 204, 22mag, 243). I found a 7mm Ultra Mag on sale at a local gun shop for around $400. He just wants to get rid of it. A friend of my dads is going to try some handloads for it to see how much power we can get out of it. Thanks for your input everyone.
That really sounds scary!! If you are not sure what you are doing stop!!!!!!
There are books for reloading it is not a guessing game!!!!!!!

Read the ballistics and go from there .

DO NOT PLAY WITH LOADS!!

That gun is cheap for a reason & I would guess some moron was trying to hop it up!!!!!!!!!! You should be seeing big red flags!!!!!!
Motrin, I'm just glad that I'm not on his family tree.
He is the perfect Marine. They will love him.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

One of things that might be worse than "playing around" with loads???
Listening to about half the responses you get on this forum! Especially from those that seem to chime in like a flock of magpies on every subject offered up!!!

Sounds to me like you have found a gun that suits your needs/wants and you feel like you are getting it for a fair price? The RUM's are good shooters and now you just need to find a good load for it. Never experienced the 7mm RUM, but the 300 and 338 RUMS are nice and I expect you will find the 7mm to be likewise.
Remembering my comment earlier and that free advice is worth what you paid for it.....I will offer up this tidbit....if it comes with a muzzle brake as a lot of the RUM's do, take it off and put on a thread cap and never look back. The recoil of any of them is manageable, the noise level is not. Shoot it once without hearing protection and you have damaged your hearing. But it's your hearing.

Good luck on the hunt and report back on your experiences with the gun and the hunt!