Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cat Ouestion

Old 12-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cat Ouestion

In Colorado the minimum you can hunt with is a caliber the produces 400lbs at the muzzle and bullet weight of 45grs. That pretty much eliminates 22lr and 22mags. And for those that value the longevity of a good lion hound would not let someone shoot one with either of those rounds.

No futher than a person is going to actually shoot a mt lion bayed or treed a medium pistol or lever gun is all you would actually need to pack around. I would suggest a 357mag or above.

Mt. lions for the most part don't appear to be very tough when they are shot. But if a wounded cat falls into a pack of hounds, they can really tear up some dogs before the cat is put down.With anything else a good shot makes all the difference. And there's no pressure at the time of the shot because the animal is not going anywhere. I've only seen one instance where the shot was taken at over 50yds because of terrian. So most shots will take place within 20yds of the cat.

Have fun hunting your cat and the 270 win would be okay to hunt with but not actually needed on this type of hunt. Drag out that 30-30 that is doing nothing but collecting dust and give it a job.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

This picture was put on here a couple of years ago--I kept it on my screensaver --Awesome

Old 12-22-2006, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: cherokee_outfitters

But if a wounded cat falls into a pack of hounds, they can really tear up some dogs before the cat is put down.
Drag out that 30-30 that is doing nothing but collecting dust and give it a job.
For Sure.
Anyone that has ever had to carrya dead hound back home or has hadtotake a dog to the vet to get its skin stitched back to its skull has found out the hard way that a .22mag is just not enough sometimes.
Why take chances when not necessary.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:21 PM

I guide lion hunts and recommend using archery because pope and young is easier to make the book but I have found that a 30-30 is an excellent gun if you want to use a rifle.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:02 AM

Charlie Brown, Their are one or two cats hanging around where I live, and seeing how I'm not freinds with either of the two houndsmen in my area I descided to buy a tag so if I see one of them I can actually shoot one so that is why the shot may be 50-100 yrds, thanks a bunch for the info.
Cherokee, I just looked at the regs and it says that it has to be .23 cal or bigger so that answers my question on the 22-250, glad you mentioned that, thanks.
Hillbilly, Thats an awsome pic! thanks for sharin!
lnielson, I'm still saving up for a bow!lol, and I probley won't be in bow range anyway, but I completly agree with what you said about the pope and young.
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT INFO! YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN SO HELPFUL. MERY CHRISTMAS!