Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cat Ouestion

Old 12-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cat Ouestion

Trapper,

A good taxidermist can fix almost anything. My buddy hit one at60 yards last year with 25-06. The taxidermist did an excellent job. Can't even see it.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Baleful Scout

[When an Appalachian-American calls something a "Panther" they are talking about the Felis Concolor otherwise known as the painter and couger which is in all respects is a Mountain Lion or "Panther"
The genus was changed some years back it's now Puma not Felis. If it ever was. I vaugley remember it changing.

Still, they were never in the same subfamily (Pantheridae) as Panthers.

The internet is by definition immune to colloquialisms.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:38 AM

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

[When an Appalachian-American calls something a "Panther" they are talking about the Felis Concolor otherwise known as the painter and couger which is in all respects is a Mountain Lion or "Panther"
The genus was changed some years back it's now Puma not Felis. If it ever was. I vaugley remember it changing.

Still, they were never in the same subfamily (Pantheridae) as Panthers.

The internet is by definition immune to colloquialisms.
Well excuse me for not being a scientist. I gave my opinion based onseveral experiences I have had in the real world, people within a300 miles of me have called the dang thing a Panther for 300 years and peoples use of the word "Panther" in reference to the Puma will continue to live on regardless of your thoughts...
Go argue with somebody else about something that might actually have a positive outcome.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well excuse me for not being a scientist. I gave my opinion based onseveral experiences I have had in the real world, people within a300 miles of me have called the dang thing a Panther for 300 years and peoples use of the word "Panther" in reference to the Puma will continue to live on regardless of your thoughts...
Go argue with somebody else about something that might actually have a positive outcome.

No need to get defensive. I wasn't trying to put you down or anythig. I was simply giving you the knowledge so you would realize your using theterm incorrectly.

No hard feelings.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will tell you one thing, after spending the last couple of winters chasing my dogs around the mountains, a rifle gets REALLY heavy after a couple of miles. I was carrying an open sighted .30-06 with a low velocity cast lead bullet. Using a 165 Grain bullet and some Unique powder. I know people who have used .22's and .22 mag's. I have a lot of times only left the truck with my 45 ACP in case I HAD to shoot one. I am now carrying a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag, that I am borrowing from a co-worker, and plan to get my own, either a Blackhawk .357, or .44. No need to get a huge gun for lions IMO.

Oh yeah, definately look at the state's regulations on legal calibers. Some rimfires are legal, others, like Nevada, there are specific regulations and rimfires are not legal. And besides, there should be no reason to shoot a lion at 50 or 100 yards. I don't know of any guide that would allow a person to shoot at a running lion in front of his dogs, and most shots would be however far the lion is up in the tree. But also take into consideration, when making a shot, only the HORIZONTAL distance is what matters in how far it really is. The vertical distance doesn't have too much of an effect on the bullet for quite some time.

Later,

Marcial
Old 12-21-2006, 03:26 PM

No need to get defensive. I wasn't trying to put you down or anythig. I was simply giving you the knowledge so you would realize your using theterm incorrectly.

No hard feelings.
No hard feelings.
I am just amazed at the fact, that after all your "skoolin'" you have failed to learn the word...
Dialect.
I checked 2 different encyclopedias and websters to get this information to support my use of the word panther...

Panther=a name applied to the Mountain Lion or Puma of North America and the Leopard of Africa and Asia

Puma [pyu'ma], a large New World cat that compares in size and strength with the jaguar. The Puma, Felis (Puma) Concolor, also known as mountain lion,cougar,panther,painter,and catamount....etc

I have never heard the term catamount but I see where the term comes from a cat you can mount and ride maybe???
Old 12-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

No hard feelings.
I am just amazed at the fact, that after all your "skoolin'" you have failed to learn the word...
Dialect.
I checked 2 different encyclopedias and websters to get this information to support my use of the word panther...

Panther=a name applied to the Mountain Lion or Puma of North America and the Leopard of Africa and Asia

Puma [pyu'ma], a large New World cat that compares in size and strength with the jaguar. The Puma, Felis (Puma) Concolor, also known as mountain lion,cougar,panther,painter,and catamount....etc

I have never heard the term catamount but I see where the term comes from a cat you can mount and ride maybe???
Yeah if you would use that dictionary that's probably proping up one leg of our lazy boy, you might realize what I was saying when I said the internet doesn't really deal in colloquialisms.

Lots of people here use the terms "tamarack" for a western larch, which is incorrect. The Tamarack is actually the Eastern species of which there aren't any within at least 600 miles of here.

Also, people here like to call the Bull Trout, "Dolly Varden" which is actually a totally different species.

This is why we have a standardized way of classifying and naming things so that people from different areas will know what the heck the other person is talking about without confusion. I mean, I knew what you meant but you get my point.

Also, dictionaries/encylopedias aren't a source of scientific information. Taxonomies and thus naming changes on a frequent, if irregular basis.

Just a little FYI I'm sure theguys at the local coffee shop know exactly what you mean and that's fine. I just didn't want people to get the idea that it was correct.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:05 PM

My uncle and I just shot two nice "Big Kittys" in Utah this November using .50 cal muzzleloaders. Killed them dead, holes weren't bad at all. Taxidermist will just sew the holes up, won't even see them. Use what you arecomfortable shooting. Shots were about 40 feet up.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:27 PM

No hard feelings.
Dialect.

Yeah if you would use that dictionary that's probably proping up one leg of our lazy boy, you might realize what I was saying when I said the internet doesn't really deal in colloquialisms.

Lots of people here use the terms "tamarack" for a western larch, which is incorrect. The Tamarack is actually the Eastern species of which there aren't any within at least 600 miles of here.

Also, people here like to call the Bull Trout, "Dolly Varden" which is actually a totally different species.

This is why we have a standardized way of classifying and naming things so that people from different areas will know what the heck the other person is talking about without confusion. I mean, I knew what you meant but you get my point.

Also, dictionaries/encylopedias aren't a source of scientific information. Taxonomies and thus naming changes on a frequent, if irregular basis.

Just a little FYI I'm sure theguys at the local coffee shop know exactly what you mean and that's fine. I just didn't want people to get the idea that it was correct.
Your trying hard aint you?
Unlike confusing 2 species, the Puma just has many names it is known by. I have learned something during this discussion(The Puma is known by more names than any other species in the world)
The only difference between a "Big Cat" in Washington State and a "Big Cat" in Florida is the size and color variation.

Just like the Whitetail difference between Maine and Mississippi.
Hotter temperatures require a smaller body.

Strictly Evolution.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/cougar/cougar5.htm
http://www.panther.state.fl.us/handbook/natural/science.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/50.shtml
Three "scientific" sites that support my use of the word "Panther"as beinga correct termto use for "The Cat of One Color" inNorth America.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your trying hard aint you?
Unlike confusing 2 species, the Puma just has many names it is known by. I have learned something during this discussion(The Puma is known by more names than any other species in the world)
The only difference between a "Big Cat" in Washington State and a "Big Cat" in Florida is the size and color variation.

Just like the Whitetail difference between Maine and Mississippi.
Hotter temperatures require a smaller body.

Strictly Evolution.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/cougar/cougar5.htm
http://www.panther.state.fl.us/handbook/natural/science.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/50.shtml
Three "scientific" sites that support my use of the word "Panther"as beinga correct termto use for "The Cat of One Color" inNorth America.
Sorry you're right. I'm just an idiot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.