Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

best bear bait

Old 12-19-2006, 08:37 PM

Default best bear bait

What is the best bear bait. We have an orchard of apples and plums which the bears seem to like the plums. They eat the the plums before bears season opens so nothing is left to keep them in the area when the season opens.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:38 AM

Default RE: best bear bait

Donuts, donuts and more donuts. Bears have a wicked sweet tooth and molasses and bird seed also work well but make sure baiting is legal in your area.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use anything that is edible. I have found that the key is to smother it all in grease. The bears out of hibernation ar super hungry and will eat almost everything. The grease plays a key role as when the bears walk through the grease soaked earth, they get it on their pads and drag a trail off, pointing the way for passing bears right to the bait pile. I stay away from meat products early on though as it takes some time for the bears digestive system to build up. Advertisement will get you bears. I also like a good stink bait to carry on the thermals both up and down the mountain. We cannot use beaver in this state, so I substitute that with road killed rock chucks. They get to stinking real bad.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:49 AM

For spring bear I like to hang carp in a burlap bag high in the same tree my bait barrel is attached to. In the barrel however, are sweets. Doughnuts, donuts, dooooooonuts! Then I'll pour molassis around barrel. Al these arromatic attractants will bring them in. You just need to be there when they do! That is another problem. I'd like to someday be able to afford a game cam that shows time and date, point it at bait, take pic's of bears coming in, and try to get a handle on the bears patterns.
Probably the only time I'd use a tree stand too. Not comfortable sitting in a ground blind with hungry baby toten' mama bears coming in for a free snack!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Banned

I have a buddy that owns a bakery here in town and I always bring up several trash bags of donuts. Canadian outfitters have a hard time getting donuts due to the bear hunter/ outfitter to donut store ratio so I feel like I am offering the bear something he doesn't always get a chance to eat.Sweets and pastries probably go through a bears' system fasttoo. I have seen outfitters use oats with molasses, breads, candies, fresh meat, grease, restaurant throwaways, etc. I have good result mixing up chocolate pudding and pouring over the logs by the food too. Makes the bear stay there for a long time while he licks it up.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

For spring bear I like to hang carp in a burlap bag high in the same tree my bait barrel is attached to. In the barrel however, are sweets. Doughnuts, donuts, dooooooonuts! Then I'll pour molassis around barrel. Al these arromatic attractants will bring them in. You just need to be there when they do! That is another problem. I'd like to someday be able to afford a game cam that shows time and date, point it at bait, take pic's of bears coming in, and try to get a handle on the bears patterns.
Probably the only time I'd use a tree stand too. Not comfortable sitting in a ground blind with hungry baby toten' mama bears coming in for a free snack!
We just use cheap $15.00 trail timers; they show day and time so you know when the bait is getting hit. I have seen a bait hit at 3:00 am and then a bear will hit it the next day at 3:00 pm so you can't just hunt by a timer. I think that bears are travelling a lot in the fall trying to put a lot of weight on and various bears are hitting the same bait. On a spring hunt though my bait was never getting hit while I hunted the afternoon till dark but would be hit by the time I came the next day to hunt. I put a trail timer on it and it said 10:30 am. The next day I was in my stand at 8:00 am. At 10:15 a bear came in, so sometimes they are patternable.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything loves beaver carcasses!!!