Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cougar hunting...question

Old 12-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cougar hunting...question

I'm headed out to BC for my first cougar hunt in January....we are using dogs, and thats all I know...

Can anybody help me with what I should be prepared for, and any tips for a newbie cat hunter?

signed,
don't have a clue...
Old 12-19-2006, 04:20 PM

Default RE: Cougar hunting...question

Cat hunting can be one of the most physically demanding hunts I've ever experienced, and that includes hunting sheep. You have to stay on the track and keep the dogs on the track through some of the most rugged country you can imagine. Now that being said, sometimes you get a short chase and get your cat. Also probably 9 times out of 10 you won't even set out on a cat, and will spend all night driving around looking for cats.

Recomendations: Wear layers. Cats go up and down up and down up and down. Be prepared for some hard hiking in deep snow. Get some gators and crampons depending on the country you're in, they can come in handy. Bring water and food to keep you going as what you think might be a short chase can end up in a 7 hour marathon. Maps help for rounding the cat up. It's definatley an experience, but for all the difficulty it's very rewarding.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cougar hunting...question

Prepare as if you are spending the night but be mobile enough to go 13+ miles if need be.