Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear dogs

Old 12-16-2006, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear dogs

What type of dogs do you all use to run bear? I've got a buddy who does it, I think he runs redbone, blueticks, & something else, can't remember. Another buddy wants to get into it and use bloodhounds, and while I'm sure they can track better than any other dog out there, I told him I didnt think theyd put enough pressue on the bear to tree. What do you think of bloodhounds for bear dogs?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bear dogs

Don't be colorblind when it comes to the hounds, there's good dogs in all the breeds. You don't need the kind of nose a blood hound has either and you don't want a dog that will track a week old scent, could be miles away before you even turn your dogs loose. Good to use smaller faster dogs so the bears are less apt to catch them in a bay up. If you have wolves in your area, I suggest you don't even get into the hounds. Takes a couple years to make a good dog and about 2 seconds for one wolf to kill a pack of hounds.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:45 AM

My uncle has hunted with hounds almost all his life and for the past twenty years he has been using them for black bear in NH. His preference are plot hounds, but has used walkers, and mountain curs as well. It all depends on the dog and how they turn out. I think bloodhounds would be two slow because of their size but I am not an expert.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't know about the other states, but in NW NC and NE Tenn it's Plott Hounds.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Plotts, Bluetick, Walkers, Redbones and Curs are all good dogs. We have had dogs for over 70 years between Granddad, dad amd myslef.The good ones get to stay the rest fade away.Most of all its not the breed. While I am partial to Plotts. Its the nose, fight and desire of the dog. Any dog worth having will come around. Most of the really good ones love to hunt and live for the thrill. You can't put that in a poor dog.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: GoatSlayer

While I am partial to Plotts.
GS, I never bred Bear Dogs, but for 45yrs bred Hog Dogs, Catahoula, Pit and Rhrodesian Ridge backs.

My wife and family are from NW NC and her cousins and uncles are well known for Bear hunting. The originator of the Plott breed was from Franklin, NC.. I met Mr. Plott in 1968 at his Restaurant there.

The Plotts were bred strictly for Bear.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:37 AM

I do not have much experience with wolves but just don't believe one wolve could take on a pack of 6 plot hounds.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been to a couple North American trials for cougar/bear/coon dogs and from what I"ve seen Redbones would be my pick.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

I've been to a couple North American trials for cougar/bear/coon dogs and from what I"ve seen Redbones would be my pick.
Redbones is what everyone in Fl uses for Deer!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Rebel,

That would have been a super conversation. I betMr. Plotthad some great stories and some outstanding advice. Plott's are just tough to beat and they love to hunt. I have yet to have a bad Plott dog. We keep 16 dogs and run for fun. Of the bunch 12 are Plotts and it seldom dips below that. The remaining 4 at the moment are 2 Blueticks, and 2 cur.