Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Texas Bill would allow blind to hunt . . .

Old 12-12-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Texas Bill would allow blind to hunt . . .

This is interesting . . . What do you think?

MSNBC.com

[hr]
[/align]Texas legislator introduces bill to allow blind people to hunt[/align]
The Associated Press[/align]
Updated: 5:07 p.m. MT Dec 11, 2006[/align][/align]
function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) {
var n = document.getElementById("udtD");
if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) {
var dt = new DateTime();
pdt = dt.T2D(pdt);
if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false :true));}
}
}
UpdateTimeStamp('633014788638670000');
[/align]AUSTIN, Texas - The blind would be able to go hunting if a Texas bill becomes law.
The bill would allow legally blind hunters to use a laser sight, or lighted pointing instrument, which is forbidden for sighted hunters, according to State Rep. Edmund Kuempel, who introduced it.
"This opens up the fun of hunting to additional people, and I think that's great," Kuempel said.
Many Texans enjoy the state's reputation for outdoor sports. The state also is where Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot a friend in the face while hunting for quail earlier this year.
Blind hunters also would have to have a sighted hunter with them. They could hunt any game sighted people can hunt and otherwise use the same weapons.
The hunter would have to carry proof he or she is legally blind.
Visually impaired people are able to shoot with the aid of a sighted person, Kuempel said.
"I've seen this on TV before, when they're taking target practice," he said. "When they aim the gun the guide tells them, aim two inches higher or two inches lower and you're on the target, and you're off and running."
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, which regulates hunting in Texas, currently does not have a definition for what constitutes a legally blind hunter. Kuempel's bill for the 2007 legislative session would give the agency until Jan. 1, 2008, to come up with a definition so the law could be enforced.
Under existing Texas law, the use of laser sights, spotlights and headlights is strictly prohibited.
© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.[/align]var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){ url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'
');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16157202/
Old 12-12-2006, 10:37 AM

Default RE: Texas Bill would allow blind to hunt . . .

I would find this type of post to be a very touchy and political situation I almost don't want to answer this but I think it is needed. Without soundingextremely harsh or basin. I will give you my opinion and my opinion only. If the laser it allows for more clean kills so be it. But if this law is a reflection of too many wounded animals due to lack of hunter vision then it should be banned-because you as a hunter and as a guide owe it to the game. And the blind should find another hobby. (What’s next lasers for driving).

So after my vent...I am for equal opportunity for disadvantaged people but you have to draw the line somewhere. It is where a person draws the line that gets the criticism.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm all for it.Have known and hunted with a man who is blind,it is a great thing to behold.He has been doing it for 15 years with out the use of a laser,just his brothers eyes and his trust in him.I have seen him harvest elk,deer,antelope and few geese,he hunts with both rifle and bow.

I think Alaska has a blind hunter program also.
BBJ
Old 12-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as all saftey factors are taken into account, YES!!
Old 12-13-2006, 12:41 AM

I would imagine the feeling of accomplishment and satifsfaction that a blind person gets from harvesting an animal, is far greater than the feeling that us "able" folk get, that is overcoming extreme odds, to kill an animal and be blind. I say yes, the Bill is a good thing, as long as safety is practiced thoroughly.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought they were already allowed to hunt on Public Land or is that just people who act like they are blind.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:39 AM

Yeah . . . I think it is a wonderful idea! At first I'm thinking . . .Blind? Hunting? But all handucaps can be overcome by the strong and willing. It's not that Texas or other states would deny a blind person to hunt, but to help their shot placement for an ethical kill by using the laser. What a great idea.

I have also posted this on the Disabled Hunters posts but have not had a response yet.

As an avid outdoorsman, I have often wondered why there isn't more movements like this cross the country. We maybe need to do some local stiring in our legislature (if needed) and even make ourselves available to disabled hunters/outdoorsmen so they too can enjoy what may be hard to achieve.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

A person I know's son is blind. He takes him bird and big game hunting. They will set up on a hay field or something for deer hunting, there is a mirror of some sort on the rifle for his dad to look at, not sure what they do for birds, but I know he has gotten them. I don't think laser's should be used, but like above, a mirror or something of the sort so the other person can tell the person where to aim.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:50 AM

blind people have rights also.. what if a blind person went blind later on in life after years of hunting... They will be happy to hear of this bill.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

what if a blind person went blind later on in life
that doesnt make any sense. Thats like being dead and really dead. Pretty much the same thing if you ask me. I totally think the blind hunter thing is a great idea. Just like the other guys stated though safety needs to be practiced just like with a sighted hunt.

Quick Reply: Texas Bill would allow blind to hunt . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.