Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Antelope/Mulie Help

Old 12-11-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Wyoming Antelope/Mulie Help

Hello,
Thanks for reading my post and I appreciate any info you can supply.
I am planning a trip to Wyoming to hunt Mulies and Antelope. This will be my first trip out West and will be a DIY (with your help, of course). I have just a few questions and it will be extremely helpful for you to be as specific as possible.
[ol][*]What is the best airport to fly into in Wyoming?
We will be fling from Rochester, NY and most likely hunting somewhere between Casper and Gillette.[*]It seems from what I’ve read, the units in or around Casper and Gillette have higher #’s of tags and 100% draws. Is there a lot of animals in this area? Can Antelope and Deer be spotted and stalked from the road?[*]In the application packet it tells when a unit opens but not the duration. If a unit opens on Oct 1, how long is it open?[*]BLM – Land[/ol]
Is BLM land identified with signs? Where can I get unit specific BLM maps?
I plan to hunt BLM or Walk-In land so any info you can give will be very helpful.
Any specific info you can give on BLM land in the Casper/Gillette Area would be extra helpful.
Any maps you have and can send would be appreciated.
If anyone knows of a Rancher/Landowner/Hunter who would like to hunt with us or just point us in the right direction, we are open to making new connections. We don’t have piles of cash, but for just a little direction we could swing a nice dinner for you and your wife.
Also, don’t be shy about pointing us away from Casper if you know of a good area or unit with large #’s of Deer and Antelope and high (80-100%) draws, we’ll listen.
I would like to thank you in advance for any response and I appreciate your time.
Thanks,
Bill

Old 12-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wyoming Antelope/Mulie Help

I would suggest not flying into Wyoming, I would fly into Denver, or Rapid City, and then you could rent a car and drive there. I think that's the way to go.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 AM

I have flown into Casper many a time. More than likley you would fly into Denver and then take a puddle jumper into Casper. It can be a little bumpy along the eastern slope and once the winds come it can also be fun.

Anyway, lots of antelope around Casper and you can see some decent horns too if you get away from the crowds. Mule deer you will have to do a lot of home work.

West of Casper there is a tremendous amount of BLM and State land and east it gets a lot more spotty.

Maps...You can get surface management maps from the BLM. Just go to their site and you can order them online.

Also a company named DeLorme produces a state Atlas that shows all state,blm, and forest lands. go to www.delorme.com

And no, the blm land is not marked.

The important thing is to identify areas of public access, so study the maps hard.

I would suggest contacting the area DOW office, They also have list of landowners that allow hunting. It may be by tresspass fee or other but it is worth checking.

Plus, go to the WyoDOW site and check out some of the special access programs they have.

Just start getting maps and talking to people and do your home work and you can have a great DIY hunt.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:45 AM

Hey,
Thanks Trigger for the info.
Let me ask, when you say "stay away from the crowds". What do you mean?
Will the BLM Land have say vechiles lined up and down the access road or do you mean get farther from Casper?
Seems to me if you spot a herd off the road and decide to take a closer look, you would check for any other trucks before stalking.
Do you have any specific info on what units are less crowded?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 12-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you get a good topo map or use google earth, you can find waypoints in public land and also can look for areas with little access from roads. This should help you get away from the crowds. Download the waypoints or load them into a gps, and you should be able to find the exact spot that you have been looking at.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

billy the kid,

You have a PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:14 PM

Easy Access often means higher pressure. Antelope can cover a lot of ground in a hurry. Sometimes high pressure keeps them moving in and out of areas and can be a good thing. The B&C bucks will seek out the low pressure areas.

Look at the odds in 73 and 72.

My personal style of hunting antelope is to hike in to a good stalkable area, (lots of wash out and coolies)get up high and glass for big bucks and then concentrate on that one buck.

I don't like my stalks interupted so I seek out those areas a little harder to get to.

There are a tremendous amount of animals in that area and you should have success at finding good representitive examples of bucks about anywhere there.

I hunt down south and have not checked the draw odds there but it should be pretty good.

And no I would not expect to find vechicles lined up.

Looks like Wolf Killer might have sent you some good local info.

Have fun!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 AM

It is important to know that public lands do not always have public access.
In other words, just because it is BLM, State, or even Nat'l Forrest land, you can not access it unless there is a publicly maintained road going to or through it. Land owners out here can be very picky about where you are and how you got there. I have even had them lie to me about a property's ownership. Had the BLM map in hand and the guy still claimed I was on private property! So you leave and go somewhere else. Cause there is no shortage of public land in Wyoming.

I think the point triggerhappy is telling you is to get out of the vehicle and walk over a rise or two to get away from other hunters. There are a lot of road hunters for antelope also and getting away from even a two track dirt road is advisable when lookling for that 14+" buck.

As far as how to get to Casper / Gillette . . . I would have to advise flying into Rapid City, S.D. and rent a truck/car. You're going to need one anyway, and that gives you the opportunity to drive through some of the country you will be hunting to get a flavor for what you'll be up against. Lots of flat land. And goats have 8 power vision. You will see lots of animals driving around. There are more goats in WYO than people!

Go to:http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/access/plpw/index.asp

This is the home page in the Game & Fish site that describes private lands that allow public access. Walk-ins and Hunter Management Areas. (The latter requires written permission which is obtainable on-line after you draw your license).

IMHO big goats are where you find them. I believe all areas can and do hold bid bucks. Unlike other species like deer, elk where there are definate areas known to produce trophy animals, antelope can get big all over the state. You just have to scout, be patient, and get up high to glass with quality spotting scope. (You'll be looking several miles at times!)

To locate public lands,I'd recommend the DeLormeatlas for starters. Compare hunt areas with public lands, "Walk-in" lands, HMA's, and draw results to pick your destination. The application does allow for three areas in order of preference.
Also, if you are bringing other hunters with, make sure all of you check and fill in the box "Party Application Block". This enables all hunters in a party to sort of apply together. That way, if one draws, you all draw.

Remember, the regs in the booklet you have say TENTATIVE! That's why there is only the start date. Actual regs come out later in the year. Kind of sucks.
Deer licenses are issued by "Region" I believe. Which include more than one hunt area and possibly more than one list of regs!

I love this stuff!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one can take money or anything else from you for what might be perceived as "guiding you to the right place", without being a licensed guide in that state. Just free advice on what has worked for others.

A good topo map with clear detail, private, BLM, state, Indian Res, etc. clearly marked. Some have draws and small creeks clearly marked and named. Though these generally cost a bit more, I've found them invaluable for some locals to show you specific areas, matching up where you're at to GPS coordinates, possibly having to find your way out of back country where so many ridges and draws look alike. Search for Mytopo or "topo maps" on google and you'll find some. The former has detailed topo maps for the specific state's area you're planning to hunt.

You'll see in certain areas as you drive antelope and in some areas deer form the roads. But I agree, if you can find areas (by talking to locals, game wardens (ahead) and people you happen to talk with along the way) ask them if they can show you places back a ways from main roads where you might find the animals you're looking for. Be prepared to hike 10 miles / day if it takes that. The smart animals won't let you get within a mile or two, if it's land that open to many hunters. They know the drill, too.

Let someone know each day (at hotel?) the areas you're planning to hunt and approximate time you expect to be back. Cell phones don't work except if you're almost in a town of any size. You want someone to know where to start looking, if something happens to your vehicle or you. It's a whole different country that generally doesn't let you make mistakes without consequences, so respect it and be prepared for whatever could happen.

Look on WY Game and Fish site under the left nav hunting > public access > HMA (hunter management areas). There are some private landowners and ranchers that cooperate with the state and provide opportunities (most online) for you to request as a guest to their land hunt selected species. Remember to read and follow ALL of their ranch/landowners rules. Their letting hunters have permission to hunt on their or leased (BLM) land is strictly their choice, it's not a right of any hunter. But it may provide access you otherwise won't have. I'd also strongly recommend bringing, even if you have to borrow a good GPS with detail map downloads to it. Learn how to use. Otherwise, you really need to study your map and know where you're at hunting. It's your responsibility. There aren't always fences or signs to tell you. You still need to be sure.