Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The Mighty 7mm-08

Old 12-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The Mighty 7mm-08

I might not hunt moose with the 139 grain load but load the 7MM-08 with the 160 grain Barnes and its more than capable of taking moose. It has plenty of energy out to 300 yards for moose and elk. I don't think any fans of the 7mm-08 are recommending it for dangerous gsme. In NA that would mean grizzlys.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:13 PM
bigcountry

I have yet to get anything close to what hornady claims. As soon as I get out my Chrono, hunters start frowning, but bow hunters are even worse. Not sure exactly why, but 10fps means alot to these folks.

Also, I have yet to see too many rifles shoot short magnums with decent accuracy. I count on a good 2800fps for a 140gr bullet for the 7mm-08 and 3000 for 7mm mag. Those are realistic numbers.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 PM

Yeah, big, the Hornady Light Mag and Heavy Mag ammo, never does live up to the advertised velocities, most of the time, not even being much faster than other ammo manufacturers figures.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC People laugh at my 252 fps out of my bow and tell me how much faster they are. Then they shoot thru the chrony and the excuses start flying..lmao. Lot of bowhunters have magnumitus (i.e. concerned with nothing but speed). 300 fps is nice but broadhead flight becomes a BIG issue. A slow double lunger is always better than a fast miss...same goes with rifles. Some will never believe this though. I wanna get one big caliber just to see if I can hit anything with it..lol.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

I might not hunt moose with the 139 grain load but load the 7MM-08 with the 160 grain Barnes and its more than capable of taking moose. It has plenty of energy out to 300 yards for moose and elk. I don't think any fans of the 7mm-08 are recommending it for dangerous gsme. In NA that would mean grizzlys.
Are you taking about factory loads, or hand-loads?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Published ballistics isballpark guess at best. Their is no way the 7mm08 is in the same class with the 7mm rem mag or 280. Sorry like it and love the .284 but to be fair compare other then the lightest bullets from hornady instead and consider all facets of the ballistical information not just one. You'll find theothers will leap ahead when you get to the 150-160 class range which is what most will chuck when elk or moose are on tap! An exception of course is the Barnes bullet were a 140 gr bullet can be used for all and be more than sufficent. Even then the 7mm 08 is on the bottom edge in performance in comparsion to the other 2-.284 users. Lets not forget limiting factors as well "when you say out to 300 yards thats your max" while the other will take it further than most would consider to shoot. At the same token what about raking or off angled shots?? Hey I used a 270. win to hunt moose and elk but I had limitations imposed to ensure I wasn't losing game. I never really had to push myself or test those limits but I deceided I needed a better suited all arounder if only for peace of mind.

YG243 question brings up another point as a handloader all cartridges can be made to do more with todays bullets but for the factory ammo shooter they become limited. The 7mm 08 is marketed as a deer cartridge and thus the ammo manufacturers market to this usage. (YG nobody I am aware of loads a Barnes bullet for a 7mm 08 in OTC ammo).

I agree shootability and be able to place the bullet is better than big holes, blazing speed or ft #'s but merit still exists to the others. I'd take a 30-06 over .308 as well..just my opinion though! Well on the opinion thing, none of the above I'dpickfor chasing the big bears!!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Skeeter, ask a silly question...! I marked this site a while ago, back when I started looking at a 7mm-08. I haven't gotten one yet, but I'm working on it!

http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/index2.html

They show Triple Shocks in 120 grain, and XLC's in 140 grain. I suppose one would apply the usual grain o' salt to their chrono specs.

I'm not looking at an '08 for elk - I've got my .30-06 for them, & I'm sure there are no shortage of people who would "tisk-tisk" me for THAT choice! I'm just looking for something with less kick, but that can still maintain a good punch on < elk-sized game. Or even on target paper.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can let you now soon about the velocity of the 120 TXS. I have a few loaded up to check with the chronograph. These are for the SPS 7mm-08.

Young gun. Those would be hand loads as I have not seen any Barnes TXS factory loads for the 08. This will change though, I look for Federal to load at least the 140 TXS for the 7-MM-08 very soon.

I have reloaded a ton of 280 and 7MM Mag shells as well as the 7mm-08. One would be suprised at how little difference there is in velocity between the 3. I have had a couple 7MM Mags that would barely match the 280 without pressure signs. I had one 280 that surpassed a couple of the 7 Mags. I have had five 7MM mags and there is a very wide spread between them in what kind of velocity the produced. This more so than with any other caliber I have loaded for.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

So a 280ai would be a heck of a compromise without having to fool with the belt when reloading it looks like.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

James I know you have more experience than I so. But I can't see a 7mm 08 hurling a 140gr bullet at 3000 fps! Little lone a barnes out of a factory barrel. My experience is barnes are slower than comparible grained bullets unless you have a silky smooth after market barrel. My 140 tsx load shoots at 3200 fps but I can equal this with 150 gr NBT, same rifle and components. The barrel is 25" pac nor BTW. I know some have not found this true but IME this has been the case. Personally I could care less about a few feet per sec but if we're comparing apples to apples you have to see where the bigger .284 user has merit. In general when you compare ballistically the 7 08, 280 and 7mm rem mag the 7mm 08 is producing an average of 350 less of foot lbs energyat all stages. Once you step up to the 150 and 160 class the gap grows as the other rifles are better suited to this classificationin the .284 cal. Even though I agree with a TSX in the tube it is not required to jump the latter in grain size, what if your rifle doesn't shoot the TSX well?? Your options areIMO limited with the little cousin and I personally don't like to be backed into a corner when it comes to hunting. Hence why I dumped the 270win and went to slightly better performer for my situation. My jump wasn't drastic but it was substantial enough in my mind and still within my abilities to put the bullet where it needed to be!

FC, like I said to my knowledge nobody loaded a barnes bullet in the 7mm 08. Glad to see I was wrong but stand by the above statements, as a handloader sure but OTC it's still a deer cartridge in most ammo companies minds. Would i use a 7mm 08 with a 140 TSX for elk, yes. I used a 270 win with a 140 and 150 grain bullets never lost one but didn't like being ina corner of limitations like I already stated. I am not a magnum pusher by no means and personally have shoulder problems so I have to consider recoil as well. My rule is if I can't plink out a range session without feeling the effects for days I don't want it. Thankfully there are things now that can be added to limit the felt recoil. I shoot my 7mm rem mag in a Tshirt without a stitch of problems withrecoil pad added and a little heavier rig being it wears a wood stock vs a synthetic. I alsoshoot a savage 50 cal MLand have played with loads thatare very stout (70 gr of H4198 under 300 gr bullets). To do so I have a sims pad on the back, filled the synthetic stock with sand adding weight to the rig/better balanceand wear shooting pad to boot. Will I ever use this load in the field..not till I can shoot it like I'd hunt with it but I am working at being able to not fear recoil and the shoulder troubles so that I may up the anty for a CF when it comes to moose and elk. I now see that their is a difference between marginal and well suited. FWIW nothing wrong with the 3006 in my mind!

Quick Reply: The Mighty 7mm-08

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.