Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I think I just found a new Elk Rifle!!!

Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I think I just found a new Elk Rifle!!!

I seen someone had mentioned a Ruger rifle called a Hawkeye.So I looked it up and what I found was a new cartrige.The Ruger 375 Ruger,check it out http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=482.

I compared it to the 250 gr .338 Win Mag and the 270 gr 375 H&H,it flies as flat as the .338 and hits harder than the 375 H&H,and it's doing it with a 20" tubeI'm telling you guys I think I'm in love.
The only problem is in wich gun the Standard,the African or the Alaskan.I'm leaning more towards the Standard or the African due to the 23" in barles,might get a little more out of it.
So whats all your opinons.
BBJ
Old 12-06-2006, 12:36 PM

Default RE: I think I just found a new Elk Rifle!!!

Don't believe the hype, I have looked at the ballistics, and there is no way it can get the performance they claim, get the .375 H&H instead.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:27 PM

Can you say Alaskan Moose and Grizzly? Cause I think it would be just about perfecto!! Now the question will be, How bad does it kick! I don't care I want one too! Even if it only meets the H&H's performance I want it.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:40 PM

may as well get a .35 whelen..
Old 12-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.sportsafield.com/FAQ/375Ruger.htm

Well here is some more hype for ya to read.
This gun is definately on my to get list.
I'm all ready thinking of what scope a 2-7 Burris,3-9 ziess Conquest,maybe a 1.75-5 Lupey.
BBJ
Old 12-06-2006, 03:43 PM

I would personally, love to have that caliber, I can see Savage and Tikka chambering it, if they do, I will have it, hopefully factory ammo will be plentiful.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its Magic!! It's Magic.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

Its Magic!! It's Magic.
Yeah, the .375 Ruger will be the answer to every problem faced by the big game hunter.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:52 AM

With a fatter body, relatively short neck, and minimal body taper the .375 Ruger case at 2.5 inches actually exceeds the case capacity of the 2.8-inch .375 H&H case. So it was a breeze to equal .375 H&H performance. What Hornady’s engineers hadn’t banked on was the increased efficiency of the shorter, wider case. In practice the .375 Ruger yielded a considerable velocity bonus over the .375 H&H—as much as 200 feet per second, depending on bullet weight and propellant. Perhaps even more interesting, it was able to attain full velocity in a shorter barrel.
I don't think this is magic, simply better engineering.

Every single animal I have seen hit with a softpoint bullet from this cartridge (either 270-grain Interlock or 300-grain Interbond) has gone down hard to the shot. If the shot wasn’t perfectly placed, well, they got back up, or at least tried to. But the point is, they all went down. I’ve used most of the .375 cartridges that are faster than the .375 H&H, and this has been a consistent phenomenon. Since the formula for deriving kinetic energy uses velocity squared, as bullet speed increases kinetic energy goes up exponentially. I’ve shot enough game with the .375 H&H, and with .375 cartridges faster than the .375 H&H, to believe that you can actually see the difference. The .375 H&H is a great cartridge. Add 150 or 200 feet per second, and you have a cartridge that shoots slightly flatter, but hits noticeably harder.
makes sense.

The only fly in the ointment is that recoil also goes up exponentially. The .375 Ruger is a hard-kicking cartridge
I figured as much. I definately want one.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

If its just more velocity a guy wants, the 375 RUM will beat the Ruger hands down. The old H&H delievers its load with 36 lbs of recoil. The 375 RUM has 53 lbs I would expect the Ruger to fall in between. I would opt for the H&H as it has no problem taking out anything in this part of the world with pretty acceptable recoil. (for most). ( Probably no longer me)

Quick Reply: I think I just found a new Elk Rifle!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.