Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I think I just found a new Elk Rifle!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I think I just found a new Elk Rifle!!!

I think a cartridge like this is long overdo. I know we have the Ultra & Short mags without a belt but since they've came out I've lusted for a standard length without a belt. I don't have any plans to go to Africa but I hope these guys run the gammut and reduce bullet diameter to .284, .308, & .338. I would jump all over the .338 version if it ever happens. I hate the belt on magnum cartridges.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah but the benefit to the Ruger cartridgeis that it delivers it all in a standard length receiver, which none of the others can do.

This, IMO, is the very huge benefit of this cartridge.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats true Bigbulls,thats pretty much the reason I wan't it.I can get all the horse power of the 375 H&H plus a little more in a lighter,standard length action.
I'm very anxious to get one of these and do some shooting.I know they said early 07 but dose anyone know exactley when?
I was also looking at the 260 Nosler Accu-bond for reloading,now that could be something.
BBJ
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the Alaskan,this is the one I'm considering.It weighs in at 8lbs has a 20" tube,could easily come under 10 lbs with scope and 4 rounds.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the African,weighing in at 7 3/4 lbs with a 23" tube,this handily beats the full length 375 H&H by almost 2 1/2 lbs.Plus you will get alittle better performance outa the 23 inch barrel.
BBJ
Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Yeah james,

I know there are already cartridges that fit its bill, but I think I'm going to buy one anyway. I've been contemplating a 375 for awhile. I don't want the ultra so I was leaning towards the H&H but now I think I've found exactly what I wanted. Just like what I see so far.

BBJ,

I would go with the african, but thats just me, I like wood. As a matter of fact I wish it had nicer wood than that.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shato,
This is the Standard Hawkeye,I realy like the looks of it,but they don't show it chambered for the .375 Ruger.

I did do some looking up on the .375 RUM and the .375 Ruger.
The ruger at 300 yds is 8.0- inches low with a 270 gr bullet.The .375 RUM is 8.9- inches low at 300 yds both with a almost 2 inch high sight in. The only thing you are giving up is 207 ft/lbs at the muzzle(.375 RUM @ 5042,the .375 Ruger @ 4835).Now at 300 yds the .375 RUM is @ 2269 ft/lbs with a velocity of 1935 fps.The .375 Ruger is 2786 ft/lbs and the velocity is 2156 Fps.
Now this all published info from Remington and Hornady,based on 270 gr bullets.
BBJ
Old 12-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are they comparing different bullets? Is it a round nose in the RUM vs. a PSP in the Ruger? Why else would the RUM start out faster at the muzzle, but be significantly slower at 300 yards? If it's the same weight/caliber/bullet design, that doesn't add up.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

A question on this. What is the head diameter? Is it the standard .473" also, or bigger, at the magnum .534" or whatever that is. Or is it somewhere in between?

That too caught my eye about the RUM starting out faster with the same size bullet. Is it the same bullet? Only thing I can think of is the faster bullet is creating more drag, therefore slowing down faster than the bullet that starts out slower.

Later,

Marcial

I too have been thinking of a .375 round, and this would fill the bill nicely. Wonder ifa custom on a Mauser action would be possible? (I think the head diameter would be key).
Old 12-07-2006, 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Are they comparing different bullets? Is it a round nose in the RUM vs. a PSP in the Ruger? Why else would the RUM start out faster at the muzzle, but be significantly slower at 300 yards? If it's the same weight/caliber/bullet design, that doesn't add up.
I'm a bit skeptical, ipscs.

Quick Reply: I think I just found a new Elk Rifle!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.