Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Concerned about SantaRosa Island Hunt

Old 12-04-2006, 08:37 PM
bigcountry

Default Concerned about SantaRosa Island Hunt

Well, now I have put my hard earned cash down to hunt 2009 on Santa Rosa Island for elk, I have some concerns. First, if they are closing hunting by 2011, and the original owners know this, what do you think they will be doing until 2011? I started thinking, they will probably let alot more of hunters on, and try to make money while they can. By 2009 or 10, their may not be near the trophies on there like it is now. Also, if they start getting bad reports by 2009, will they care? They will only be in business for 2 more years. Just my mind rattling here. I have always wanted to see the island as they have on the shows.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Concerned about SantaRosa Island Hunt

I think you'll be OK. I really doubt they will exterminate the elk. But did you check out the refund policy? Hang in there---sound like a little cold feet----I get it also when I send out the check. CB
Old 12-05-2006, 06:29 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Colorado Bob

I think you'll be OK. I really doubt they will exterminate the elk. But did you check out the refund policy? Hang in there---sound like a little cold feet----I get it also when I send out the check. CB
Maybe, little cold feet. I am used to paying 3K to go to Newfoundland for moose. But this 5500 is the most I ever shelled out.

they say, you can get a refund less 200 dollars. So thats not too bad.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:32 AM
bigcountry

Until then, I finally found a buddy that is willing to go to Co for bowhunting. Self guided on forest land. We might put in for the Muzzleloading this year also.

I love CO, but so difficult for me to pack camping gear out there from MD.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, they're not exterminating the elk herds? I thought Feinstein and Boxer were doing that.

If they're just closing hunting down there, then t least the elk can live alright, but thenthey'll overpopulate, and the next thing you know, hunting will be back again!

I don't see how they'll succeed to kill all the elk, people thought that elk were extinct in the wild until a forest fire tool out alot of trees and the elk were visible.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Feinstein and Boxer
Morons. Pure, simple, Morons. With a capital M. How in the he!! do these kinds of people get elected? Birds of a feather...
Old 12-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's California, "s*** happens"!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, like I said, birds of a feather. Must be a ton of that ilk out there on the Left Coast.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:54 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: younggun243

So, they're not exterminating the elk herds? I thought Feinstein and Boxer were doing that.

If they're just closing hunting down there, then t least the elk can live alright, but thenthey'll overpopulate, and the next thing you know, hunting will be back again!

I don't see how they'll succeed to kill all the elk, people thought that elk were extinct in the wild until a forest fire tool out alot of trees and the elk were visible.
Bush signed a bill that overwrote that. But now the senators have attached an ammendment that the Navy will take control of the island after 2011, which will mean no hunting.

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=8358

Old 12-05-2006, 03:48 PM

Elk are not native to Santa Rosa Island, they were introduced for sport hunting in the early 20th century and have done considerable damage to the indigenous flora and fauna. This is why they are being removedfrom the island. Obviously, to us hunters this is not desireable since we would much rather have the elk to hunt than the non-game species that are native to the island. All elk must be removed by 2011 so it would seem that the operators of the hunts have a big incentive to have all of them killed by then since they will have to bear the cost of removing any elk that remain on the islandafter hunting ends.

Caldoc

Quick Reply: Concerned about SantaRosa Island Hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.