Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Concerned about SantaRosa Island Hunt

Old 12-05-2006, 06:22 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Concerned about SantaRosa Island Hunt

ORIGINAL: Californiadoctor

Elk are not native to Santa Rosa Island, they were introduced for sport hunting in the early 20th century and have done considerable damage to the indigenous flora and fauna. This is why they are being removedfrom the island. Obviously, to us hunters this is not desireable since we would much rather have the elk to hunt than the non-game species that are native to the island. All elk must be removed by 2011 so it would seem that the operators of the hunts have a big incentive to have all of them killed by then since they will have to bear the cost of removing any elk that remain on the islandafter hunting ends.

Caldoc
They are not being removed yet according to the bill. Even if the navy get its, doesn't mean they will removed totally. The elk and deer have been there for a long time. And I see it as much more attractive than plants.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Concerned about SantaRosa Island Hunt

They say that the elk on the Santa Rosa Island aren't affected by CWD, but the others on the mainland are. What about the elk in Alaska? Aren't they free from CWD? I heard that Alaska has one of the lowest populations of animals in the nation. Is this true? If that's the case, and the elk herds are free of CWD in Alaska, then why not transplant a large portion of the herd from Santa Rosa island to Alaska? I bet it would cost too much money though.

I guess the real reason that Feinstein and Boxer are doing this is because they're sore losers, and they're just trying to get revenge.
The Navy has enough bases already in California. It has one near San Fransisco, or San Diego I believe, andthe Air force has a helicopter base near Costa Mesa and Irvine, I've seen it.And if the Navy has abase inPearl Harbor,that would generally provide enough protection for California. I don't see that Feinstien and Boxer's plan is built from neccessity, it's like I said before, revenge.Which would explain why they haven't thought it through well, about what they'regoing to do when the island overpopulates.
Maybe Bush could make Santa Rosa a national park?
There wouldn't be much hunting, except forsome managementhunts, I guess, but at least the elk would survive alright. I think it would make a greatnational park. Let me guess.....it already too late for that.
How come no one voted against the amemdment? It must've been only a state issue, not a government issue as far as the amendment goes.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge of how the government works, I don't take classes on U.S. Government till' my senior year in high school.