Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The Lethalconnection Strikes Again

Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 AM

Default The Lethalconnection Strikes Again

So me and my buddy managed to get out today to see if we could fill his late elk tag and well we did. So about 100yds from the trucks i look up to this hill about a mile away and i see some dots that i didnt recall ever being there but i didnt think anything of it then suddenly to our left we see two cow moose come running out about 500yds away and we figured that the day was off to a good start then suddenly 3 more cows popped out of the bush, then another cow we couldnt believe then suddenly a big bull steps out. So its not even legal shooting time and we've already seen 7 moose so we figured it was gonna be a really good day.

So we continue to walk about another 50yds and i take a look at the hill that i seen those spots on and i asked my buddy" hey are those elk" he took a look through the binoc's and sure enough there was about 10 of them there. So we stood there trying to figure out what we were gonna do then suddenly the elk started coming out of the wood work up where the rest of them were. There must have been about 30-40 head of elk.So we decided to walk down to the bottom of the hill they were standing on and they went a bit more north into another clearing and we were hoping to sneak up behind them so we walked up this cutline that they were standing on and started moving towards them. We decided to drop our packs so they wouldnt become a hassel if we had to crawl. I also left my gun and just grabbed my binoc's so it wouldnt get in my way. So we just come over a lil hill and there they were in all their glory. We managed to sneak to a kind of path in the trees and there were still a few smaller poplars in the way but nothing to worry about. I look at the herd and there was one shootable the thing was its butt was facing us and it had just turned its head and it was looking right at us and out of the corner of my eye i spotted a big 6x6 bull looking at us through a bunch of trees. So we had been had. I was told him ok lets get behind these blowin over trees and take a shot at the cow that was facing away. So he settled in a BOOM. Suddenly all hell broke lose as the forest came alive andhe though he missed so he continued to follow it and taking shots, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. So now hes out of ammo and out of no where this elk comes running straight for us and i thought it was the bull and he was pissed so i told him to reload and he had forgotten to grab his bullets from his bag so here we are hiding and it ends up it was the cow he was shooting at and it was walking about 20yds in front of us and he didnt even have a bullet to finish it off. It bedded down so we snuck back to the bags reloaded and went back to finish it off but it had got up and ran away again so we just decided to go and check out the blood trail and she had lost alot and it turns out she had died about 150yds forom where she hoped up on us but he had nailed her in the hind and hit a main artery but hey at least there is still more meat in freezer and one less tag to fill.

By the way we werent able to get any pics in the bush cause both our cameras were frozen and wouldnt work for us.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 AM

Default RE: The Lethalconnection Strikes Again

Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!! Great elk!!!!!

I the first thing I noticed about your pic was that you have some deer ribs hanging on the wall there, looks like you got plenty of meat there.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Congrats!!! Great elk!!!!!

I the first thing I noticed about your pic was that you have some deer ribs hanging on the wall there, looks like you got plenty of meat there.
Actually our garage is looking pretty empty right now. About a week ago we had 1 moose and 8 deer hanging in there but those deer are gonna be cut up this week sometime. So yah i guess you could say the freezer is getting pretty full.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Nice ELK !!! Congats on the hunt man.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

NIce!!

The first thing I noticed is that somebody's got some really light colored stock on their rifle. Looks pretty good
Old 11-30-2006, 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

NIce!!

The first thing I noticed is that somebody's got some really light colored stock on their rifle. Looks pretty good
Yah thats me holding my rifle cause my buddy stopped at home and dropped his off. I redid the stock this year cause it was pretty beat up and i decided to go with the lighter stock cause i liked the looks of it.Thanks for the compliment.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:37 PM
GCW

Congrats on the elk,after being on a few elk hunts I have come to relize that a cow is as much a prize as a nice bull,Like that lite finish on your stock,looks good.What kind of gun is it?do tell us.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:05 PM

Its a Mossberg 30.06 it did have a darker stain to it but the finish started to chip and flake so i decided to take a few days this summer and sand it down and re-paint the checkering and black tip on it and re-coated it with Crystal Varathane and it turned it just the way i wanted it to. Thanks for the compliments.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Nice Job!

Quick Reply: The Lethalconnection Strikes Again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.