Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big game rifle

Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big game rifle

I'd recommend a Tikka T3 .300 Win Mag. I have one and have killed several Elk with including one at 300 yards exactly 1 month ago out west. With a 180 gr Nosler Accubond it took out the front shoulder and both lungs. It went less than 50 yards with the one shot and dropped dead. You can go to a heavier slug, if you want for bigger game, if you choose.

Price is very affordable in $550-600+ range depending on where you buy, type of stock, blued/SS barrel, etc. I'm very pleased with mine and would recommend it to anyone. Very accurate, with a quality scope and rings Tikka comes with, as long as you do your part.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:51 PM

Skeeter

1- I agree, the break does cut down recoil at the price or busting your ear drums. Thanks to modern technology you can buy hearing protection that not only amplifies small noises, i.e. cruching, twigs snapping, conversation, ect., but also cuts off when the noise reaches harmful levels, such as the report from a 338-378.

2- Yes a shooter does need to shoot a rifle however many times it takes to be proficient and comfortable with the said rifle. But, beyond that the gun is a big game/ dangerous game (Bears) rifle. Not made to take the constant barrel abuse that round after round inflicts. This is not a small bore, target rifle. Not made for fun weekend shooting trips, but for Hunting. Plain and simple, its a gun that will slam elk, moose, bears, or pretty much any animal that you dare to shoot, possibly excluding elephants, lions, and water buffalo... maybe.

So end line, it does come down to what makes you comfortable. It’s not the size of the bullet but the placement, or so i am told. If you want a purely big game rifle and you can handle it, then why not go with the biggest, baddest, and arguably best .338 caliber? If that doesn't make you comfortable then sure, get the .338 in any of the other lighter calibers, or perhaps a .323 WSM, or even a .300 win. All will do the job I’m sure.

When I was trying to figure out what rifle I wanted to be my all around big game rifle I chose the .338-.378. I studied all the different chambers, and even got the chance to shoot one before I decided it was the gun for me.

Good luck choosing!
Old 12-31-2006, 06:53 AM

Idaho--Your points are well argued. I'm sure YOU can handle the .338-378 caliber, however, try to recall your past hunting/shooting experiences around other people. I can recall many in which someone emphatically stated that "that gun kicks like a mule" and when the range went cold and we all went up to check targets, his target had two or three holes anywhere, not in or near the bullseye. My best guess, he quick pulled the minute the crosshairs came in view of the target and fired so as to huury up and get it over with. No settling period and breathing and squeezing. Why? He KNEW what was coming and didn't like it. The gun was a .300 Win Mag. My .300WM which I thought was pretty easy to shoot. Now imagine yourself as this guys guide in Alaska for big bear. You're not aware that he's scared of his gun and FLINGS lead! Two days into the hunt, you put him on a great brownie and the shot is 90 yds. The shot goes off in a hurry, the bear hunches up and runs off into the alders. He's gut shot. Now, do you 'wanna go in and track a gut shot 1000lb pissed off grizzly?
Thats my point. Not too many guys are like you and fear no rifle. You would cleanly kill that bear at 90 yds, far too many others can't with that caliber. Remember, it has 42 lbs of recoil energy. How many regulars have the skill and fearless thought process that they can and will shoot this gun well?
In this post is why I offered my humble opinion of a .300 mag or .338 Win MAg. The .300's are in the low to mid 20's on recoil factor and the .338 in the low to mid 30's. I think this allows the average hunter on an expensive dream hunt to accurately and successfully kill his bear AND makes the guide's job easier and far less dangerous.
You and I have probably been shooting for many years combined. We've developed a comfort level behind most any gun. We're not the average shooter/hunter. As an example, a few of my hunting buddies hunt with a 12 ga slug gun, but hate to sight it in. I take their guns and spend half a day sighting them all in. Thats about 30-40 rounds of 12ga slugs in a 2- 2 1/2 hr period. I get their guns dead on at a 100yds off the bench and yet they miss deer every year??? I know the gun is on, I shot it! They do the quick pull up and slam the trigger in anticipation of getting smacked ny the shotgun. Who knows where their crosshairs are when the shot goes off.
Thats my point. Innate fear vs. practiced, learned gun control. The critter and the guide deserve it!
Old 12-31-2006, 02:51 PM

YeahI completely agree with all of your points and I have the whole time. I don't know what kind of recoil that thread starter can handle, but i just wanted to make sure he had all the options, from small to large.

Basically it just comes down to what caliber you can handle, and feel comfortable with. If you can handle the .338-378 then why not go with it? If not, then yes I'm sure a smaller .300 caliber will work just fine.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:57 PM

Just as an FYI- I desparately wanted to persue cape buffalo and kudu in africa. I finally started to put the trip together. I went and bought a CZ550 safari magnum in .416 Rigby. Loaded 325 and 400 grain bullets for it at average speeds. Topped it off with a Leupold VXII 1.5-5 scope. Went to the range to get started. Now I knew this baby was going to kick a bit, so I pulled her in tight to my shoulder and fired the first few shots standing offhand to get used to it. WOW!!! Don't let anyone tell you a .416 Rigby is a piece of cake to shoot. IT RECOILS!!! not enough to scare you away from it, but she definately lets you know who's the big mama! If I were a new shooter, I probably would have dropped the gun!
The 325's were'nt too bad, the 400's smack a bit. Got her all sighted in, dead on at 75 yds. A month later, my beautiful wife drops the bomb on me; we're going to have another baby! So much for my $10,000 trip! Cancelled and put the money towards all the new baby stuff, etc. Sold the gun to a cardiologist who's going to africa for the third time, this time for buffalo and elephant! He bought an elephant tag for $20,000.00... Can you imagine?
Old 01-01-2007, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's just crazy!