Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Not worthy anymore after 1st season!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Not worthy anymore after 1st season!

well pick up rifle hunting lol just kidding its alot harder bowhunting just keep trying
Old 11-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

As others have said,focus on the how much you did right to put yourself in the position you were in! Did you love it? If you did keep at it!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Dude that's the game, Get pumped you were able to get a shot! Live for that moment when you are so jazzed your body trembles! GOD I LOVE TO HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 04:12 PM

Bow hunting takes nerves of steel. Period.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found that the best way to get my nerves in check, was to start shooting competition, and in front of people. It helped me start pulling off good shots while under pressure. Granted, it is different pressure, but it helped me greatly in the heat of the moment. It seemed as time when on, and the missed shots added up, I started to calm down a little more with each passing animal, to the point that all adrenaline was controllable. Keep after it and you will fall right in line.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RegimentalStalker175

I had to draw my bow b/c my rest is a little noisy and I coundn't afford a whisker biscuit this year.
You don't need a whisker biscuit to fix that problem, not that I'm saying you shouldn't get one. I'm assuming you have a metal rest and the arrow makes that drawing accross metal sound alomost like you are sharpening a knife? All you need is a little shrink wrap to solve that problem. You put that on thereit won't make a sound. You can buy it mostmajor sporting goods stores but if you can't find it there just use wire shrink wrap, youknow the kind you shrink with a lighter.

Don't worry about the mess up. We all do it and especially bowhunting I have definitely had my share. BeforeI got my first archery deer on the ground I missed the first four deer I shot at.2 arrows were high, 2 were low. Keep at it and you'll do justfine.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Well at least ya didn't miss the same turkey gobbler 4 times at 20 yrds...
Old 11-29-2006, 09:11 PM

Last year was my first elk season and if you think that missing with a bow is bad oh boy do I have a story for you. It was around 10 am and we were driving around not expecting to see any thing and all of sudden my freinds dad slams on the breaks and says "elk!, elk!, Erik get your gun!" Their was a cow right in the middle of this old dirt road so I leaned my gun across the back of the truck and shot at 70 yards and watched it trot off.......I had completly missed. So don't feel bad because I missed with a canon, lol. But to end this story on a good note 100yards up the road my freinds dad shot a nice 5x5.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jhtrapper

Last year was my first elk season and if you think that missing with a bow is bad oh boy do I have a story for you. It was around 10 am and we were driving around not expecting to see any thing and all of sudden my freinds dad slams on the breaks and says "elk!, elk!, Erik get your gun!" Their was a cow right in the middle of this old dirt road so I leaned my gun across the back of the truck and shot at 70 yards and watched it trot off.......I had completly missed. So don't feel bad because I missed with a canon, lol. But to end this story on a good note 100yards up the road my freinds dad shot a nice 5x5.
I've got a better miss, I missed a rather large 12-point buck at 30 yards, 3 times with a rifle, not a bow! I couldn't believe it when that monster ran off. My dad retraced his trail for several hundred hards to make sure I didn't hit him, and he found no blood trail How the hell does someone miss at 30 yards WITH A RIFLE!!! Well, it ends on a good note as well, I shot a nice 8 point at 80 yards with a single shot about an hour later from the same stand
Old 12-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

I know we are supposed to try and control the excitment when an animal that we are after is there and it's time to shoot but that excitment is why I hunt and yes it sometimes causes us to miss but better a miss than a wound.When that is gone then thats when I will quit hunting.A elk hunting buddy put it best after missing a good bull when asked what pin he used his answer was "all of them"anybody that has ever been there knows just what he means.

Quick Reply: Not worthy anymore after 1st season!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.