Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT HUGE KANSAS MULIE/WHITE TAIL???????

Old 10-24-2006, 01:39 PM

Default WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT HUGE KANSAS MULIE/WHITE TAIL???????

What ever happened with that huge Buck the guy took in Kansas? It looked like it may have been a White tail/mulie cross. He had been asked to show it to local G&F biologists.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT HUGE KANSAS MULIE/WHITE TAIL???????

Are you referring to this buck?

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=482

That deer is definately a Mule Deer Has all the characteristics of one. Mulie/Whitetail crosses usually look very close to a whitetail in the body and rack, except for certain characteristics like forked tines, large frame, etc. I've seen a few around here that have been taken, and you usually wonder if it is a Whitetail or Mulie/WT cross, rather than is it a Mulie or Mulie/WT cross. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:14 PM

Yes . . . That's it!

You gotta admit,the main beams look more like white tail rack than mulie.

Face isn't very black either. Several of us were wondering if a biologist ever looked at it?

None of that (if it's so) takes away from the magnatude of the trophy. Spectacular deer.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is an awesomedeer! He's getting a fully body mount of it. It's hasn't been checked by a biologists that I know of.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a big ole mule deer no question about it. I don't see anything about that deer or his antlers that say whitetail. Looks to me that his antlers fork just like a mule deers antlers are suppose to.And I don't think I have ever seen a mule deer with a black face but I have seen a whole bunh of them with gray faces.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:59 PM

I have seen a lot of whitetail muledeer crosses in western Kansas. The whitetails are more aggressive and I have been watching them take over muledeer range slowly over the last twenty years pushing the muleys out.

The Kansas Wildlife and Parks could care less about looking at a mix. They will acknowlege that there may or may not be mixes out there but they are not going to spend anytime or money to try to confirm it.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

MULIE ALL THE WAY!!!It has all the characteristics blacj face and the horns kind of look whiteail but,MULI ALL THE WAY!!![8D]
Old 11-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Guys IMHO pure mule deer, not even a hint of WT. The crosses are very easy to spot. I have a picture of a cross doe on my web site. As you can see it is very obvious about the cross. And in the north country small ears are not always the best indicator. They can be frozen off or can be nipped off by coyotes. I have seen both. Check out the other pictures page on my site for a look. www.antelopeoutfitters.com
Ward
Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 AM

The aditional photos are a little more enlightning. Makes it look a lot more like a mulie.
But you've got to admit, that first pic with the main beams coming out & forward and all tines going up does make it look whitetailesque.

Here in Wyoming our G&F, through it's regs, tries to eliminate whitetails in mulie country so as to eliminate any cross breading. Typical regs will read, "Antlered mule deer or any Whitetail". That's 'cause you never see ANY Whitetail. (lol)
Old 11-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

thats a huge mulie

Quick Reply: WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT HUGE KANSAS MULIE/WHITE TAIL???????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.