Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Any Elk Reports from BC?

Old 09-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Any Elk Reports from BC?

T-minus 1 week 'til I head out to the Fernie/Sparwood area (Southeast BC) to go harass the wapiti. From anyone who's been out there, how goes it thus far?

Folically Challenged
Old 09-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any Elk Reports from BC?

I personally have only hunted them bulls up north, around Chetwynd (peace region) and they were around, but really really hot, so little movement.

The few guys that I do know that have hunted elk in the Kootneys had the same experience, although they were more successful them me. I tagged a spike fork moose, they got a couple 6 pts.

Do you have a draw? if so, maybe more successful.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elk are continuing to grow in the Province...
Especially in the Kootney and Peace Regions of B.C.
So it may look pretty promisingfor your chances of success hunt.
My neighbor came back from that area earlier in the season from a Bow Hunt.......
Although not successful they didcall in lots of lots of bulls .....
They just happened to miss on a few attempted shots.......
A region somewhere in Prince George, has been opened up for 6 point- plus bulls and another area on the Island of Van has been opened up for LEH...
Last year was so successful in the Okanagaon that I don't know if those numbers will repeat this year though but it does look promising......
I think the biggest problem for the Okanagon area will be increase of the number of people that will hunt them inthe area this this year
Everbody I know has bought a tag and planning on giving it a whirl.....
I expectdue to all of the pressure that will be put on the animals not to mention the bad bugaling attemps and overall bad elk hunting methods,
made by the Rookies may save alot of elk from getting harvested in
the Okanagon...
I'm going this coming up weekend,for a week but I'll let you know how it went...
Old 09-24-2006, 06:21 PM

I live in Sparwood and just took my first elk last tuesday but this year has been slower than last and u gotta go way back in the middle of no where to find them. that being said their still is a lot of them around so good luck.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, all. Hopefully the outfitter will get the horses way back in where the big 'uns are holed-up.

BTW, is there much snow up there yet?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM

Their is no snow around yet except way up on the tops of some peaks u can see a bit. Its still actually pretty warm around here.

BTW whos your guide maybe i know him
Old 09-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

BC88,

I'm going with David Beranek of Packhorse Creek Outfitters.

He came highly recommended, and seems to have his stuff together.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:46 PM

Ive heard the name before but dont know him. Anyways good luck with your elk!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

So how about an update. Any luck with the wapiti?
Would love to know how it went for you.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default My Report from BC

Well, it was really peaceful up there. I've got 4 boys from 11 to 3 years old, so the serenity was most welcome!

As for bagging game? Well, I got skunked.
Elk 1, me zero.
Mulie 1, me zero
Wolf 1, me zero

There wasn't much bugling going on, so there was an awful lot of riding and glassing. We saw 3 very nice 5x5's, a couple o' spikes, and a 3x4. We had 1 bugled-in within 40 yards or so, but couldn't get a count on the rack before he winded us. The very last day, we stalked 2 bugling bulls, and I thought we'd get a look at us the way they were screaming. Then my guide decided to beat the hell out of an alder bush to try to bring them in, & they must have decided that we were too rich for their blood: they sauntered off quickly and quietly.

I'm not really disappointed, though, since there were 7 hunters in camp going for elk, and no one scored prior to my departure. Several weeks of temps in the 60's, and 5 straight nights with a full-ish moon don't generally help the hunters. Plus, my guide worked his a$$ off for me. Itippedhim the same as if I'd have gotten a giant. That way, I figure all the guides will be fighting over me next time I get into camp!

The outfit was positively first rate, and I'll definitely be going back. My last day, they even called-in another guide & had him drive around & glass for the rest of us. He's actually the one who tipped us off about the buglers that we subsequently chased.

I know the game is up there. We saw 2 cow moose, 3 grizzlies, 10 bighorn sheep (no shooters), dozens and dozens of mountain goats (withMANY shooters), a few mulies (WAY too far away), and a few whitetails. The only thing we didn't see were wolves, & that was just fine by me. It did get frustrating to see the elk sign everywhere, but not the critters themselves. But if I had the same kind of playground that they did, I wouldn't ever come out, either!

I came to understand that I've been poorly served by all those pictures that show giant bulls standing in open meadows with shin-high grass. The evergreens up there were impenetrable, and the alder patches were too few, too far between, and too thick! But I guess that's why they call it hunting, and that's why they call them trophies. I'll be awfully damned proud of my bull when I finally do get him.

Oh, I did become familiarized with that fabulous flora known as Devil's Club. Only once did I take my gloves off, & I've still got the #%$! splinters to show for it!

Quick Reply: Any Elk Reports from BC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.